please help me setup my 2nd harddrive in windows

pepperg

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
hi,

i have 2 harddrives i am using in winxp, no raid. drive 0 is my primary, and is a western raptor, drive 1 is secondary, and is a seagate drive. the raptor is fine, since i installed winxp to it, but the seagate is not being noticed by windows in my computer. i opened the windows disk management application and i thought i partitioned the seagate, but perhaps not. how do i make the seagate ntfs and not cdfs, and get it to be recognized in my computer? i don't see any option at all in disk managment for formatting.

thanks

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
hi,
i have 2 harddrives i am using in winxp, no raid. drive 0 is my primary, and is a western raptor, drive 1 is secondary, and is a seagate drive. the raptor is fine, since i installed winxp to it, but the seagate is not being noticed by windows in my computer. i opened the windows disk management application and i thought i partitioned the seagate, but perhaps not. how do i make the seagate ntfs and not cdfs, and get it to be recognized in my computer? i don't see any option at all in disk managment for formatting.
thanks
Hi again, You should be able to see the drive in the graphic after you partition it, and there should be no file system on it. Partition the drive again and then right click on the graphic for the drive, I think it will be black, and format NTFS.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
CDFS is the format for optical discs... Are you sure you're not looking at your CD-Rom/DVD-Rom?

If the drive isn't partitioned the color will be black and it will list the amount of space and indicate "unallocated."

Otherwise, it will list the amount of space, indicate the health of the drive and have a color:
Dark blue = primary partition
Light blue = secondary partitions

Assuming you have one of the blue's, right click the partition and select "format."

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
my bad qwerty, you're right

i think the graphic color for it was green
It shouldn't be green, green is for an extended partition. If you click on the last icon at the top under the word "window" it will show you the colors and description for each. If you can see a graphic for the drive and you are sure it is the correct drive then right click on the graphic and delete the partition and then make a new partition and format it with NTFS.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
1) If it's lime green, then it's free space (ie. no partition). But..

2) Dark green is an extended partition, like Zorg said. Within the extended partition you can have multiple logical drives (light blue, mentioned earlier) within it. I think if you right-click on the dark green you can select "Create Logical Drive." However, you don't need to worry about extended partitions and logical drives if you're just trying to make one big partition:

I second Zorgs advice. Delete the extended partition, create a new partition but ensure you select "primary" rather than "extended." Then format.