Please recomend an external Hard Drive

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I need an external hard drive to make backups and move stuff between my computers, but with so many choices i don't know what to get. First off, which brands are considered descent? I was thinking may be Western Digital or Seagate since they make good regular HD, i'm getting those 2 for my first build. Second question has to deal with the type of HD i should get, i'm thinking of USB 2.0. But there are others available such as USB 2.0/IEEE 1394a or b, USB 2.0/IEEE 1394a/SATA or eSATA and many others. i'm not even sure why they have so many different kinds. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Good brands are Western Digital and Seagates (including maxtors)

Remember to get something with many ports like USB and Firewire just in case.

eSata drives also come with USB2 so it would be nice if you pick one with both, eSATA is getting into the market real quick.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
eSata drives also come with USB2 so it would be nice if you pick one with both, eSATA is getting into the market real quick.
The enclosure I posted comes with eSATA. I like the Western Digital drives with "Whisper Quiet," because they are.

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I built an external using an azio enclosure and it worked quite nicely. The drive went in smooth and the eSATA is a plus but be careful, my niece knocked it off of my desk and the enclosure stopped working but the drive is fine. So I guess the case is more fragile than the HD.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions, i'm kinda leaning towards western digital premium drives at this point, they have both usb and firewire.