  • Nintendo
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2005 6:34:56 AM

Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you in
my place?) I get?

Choices are:
DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on it?
Anyone know when?
SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on in
the dark while someone else does the driving. :)

And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
after all applicable taxes).

Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If I can
only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted something to play in
the dark for a while now (like since SP came out) so I will go looking into
how much they are second hand around here.

daramark

More about : question

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:16:53 PM

You can play in dark with NDS also.
But if you need to link 2 GBA games, you won't be able to do it with a NDS,
and GB/GBC games do not work on NDS.

With that info, you should be able to choice ;)

"daramark" <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
HmBie.2049$Wp.435223@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you
> in my place?) I get?
>
> Choices are:
> DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
> the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on
> it? Anyone know when?
> SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on
> in the dark while someone else does the driving. :)
>
> And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
> after all applicable taxes).
>
> Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If I
> can only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted something to
> play in the dark for a while now (like since SP came out) so I will go
> looking into how much they are second hand around here.
>
> daramark

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:34:20 PM

Get the SP. since the DS wireless is incompatable with GBA wireless -- that
was a BIG mistake in making a different wireless commununication protocol.

"daramark" <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you
> in my place?) I get?
>
> Choices are:
> DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
> the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on
> it? Anyone know when?
> SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on
> in the dark while someone else does the driving. :)
>
> And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
> after all applicable taxes).
>
> Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If I
> can only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted something to
> play in the dark for a while now (like since SP came out) so I will go
> looking into how much they are second hand around here.
>
> daramark

May 18, 2005 6:07:53 PM

In article <HmBie.2049$Wp.435223@news20.bellglobal.com>,
daramark <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you in
>my place?) I get?
>
>Choices are:
> DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
>the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on it?
>Anyone know when?

There is presumably a Pokemon game coming out for it (Pokemon Dash
doesn't count), but I have no idea when.

It doesn't use replaceable batteries, but rather runs on the same
charger as the SP. This is good and bad, depending on whether you
expect to be away from house current for several days. The screen
is lighted.

Advantages over the SP:
Better screen
Can play DS games

> SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on in
>the dark while someone else does the driving. :)

Yup.

Advantages over the DS:
Can communicate with other Advance/SP systems (the DS can't)
Can play older Gameboy games, such as Pokemon Crystal
Physically smaller (fits into my pants pocket easier)

>And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
>after all applicable taxes).

Emerald is the one I like best, but if you have Ruby and/or Sapphire
I'd recommend Fire Red or Leaf Green.

>Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If I can
>only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted something to play in
>the dark for a while now (like since SP came out) so I will go looking into
>how much they are second hand around here.

SP prices have dropped since the DS came out, so you may be in luck
there.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
May 18, 2005 9:53:24 PM

daramark wrote:
> Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you in
> my place?) I get?
>
> Choices are:
> DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
> the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on it?
> Anyone know when?
> SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on in
> the dark while someone else does the driving. :)

As far as the DS/SP goes, the DS has a much brighter screen and the
games look better on it. I would recommend waiting on the SP and getting
the GB Micro when it comes out in the fall. Until then, you can use the
DS for everything the SP can do, plus DS games as well, especially if
you're considering buying it eventually anyway. Battery life is a little
shorter (about 10 hours), but that's not such a huge deal.

As for games, I'd splurge and get both the DS *and* Emerald! :)
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:33:06 AM

daramark wrote:
> DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
> the dark?)

I've been able to see the DS in extremely shaded conditions before. It
does use a battery, like all GBs; unlike most, its battery is
rechargable. It apparently can also play any GB game - special slot for
DS-only games, and the GBA slot which is backwards-compatible with
original GB games. The one thing it can't do is multi-GB games, for
instance if you wanted to run one Pokemon cart and trade or battle with
another (or, for that matter, interface to the GC and trade via the GC's
Pokemon games).

Since I almost never use multi-GB functionality anyway (where I travel,
I very rarely see anyone else with a GB, and the few who do are
inevitably strangers who wouldn't want to link up anyway), I went DS.
But your circumstances are your circumstances.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:01:02 PM

"daramark" <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you in
> my place?) I get?
>
> Choices are:
> DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in the
> dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on it?
> Anyone know when?
> SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on in
> the dark while someone else does the driving. :)

Between the DS and the SP, I'd say SP for now. The DS should have a price
drop right before Christmas. Now you know what to ask Santa for ;)

> And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
> after all applicable taxes).

I've played Emerald and Fire Red and looked over Sapphire. I like Emerald the
best, hands down. The Battle Frontier is wickedly fun! You wanna talk
challenge? The main game is more or less easy. The Frontier can kikc you in
the jommy if your not careful.

.... Figure of speech of course.
--
fluxxdog
www.bellsouthpwp.net/f/l/fluxxdog

On Thu, 19 May 2005, fluxxdog wrote:
> I've played Emerald and Fire Red and looked over Sapphire. I like Emerald
> the best, hands down. The Battle Frontier is wickedly fun! You wanna
> talk challenge? The main game is more or less easy. The Frontier can
> kikc you in the jommy if your not careful.

Yep. And, despite it taking out the entire Elite 4 (first time through,
of course) and Wallace without any help from anyone else when it was level
50, my level 66 Alakazam (Psychic and all 3 Punches) faints quite frequently
against the equally-leveled opposition in the Battle Frontier... (who, I'm
convinced, cheat even more than the foes in the main game - I've yet to see
a Supersonic, Sleep Powder, Lovely/Sweet Kiss, Hypnosis, etc., fail when
performed by an enemy in the Frontier [currently only have the badges from
the Pike & Dome, though, since I've taken a break to try and fill the Hoenn
'Dex - just need Metagross, Cradily and Armaldo now - and playing a bit of
Leaf Green when that gets boring :p ])

May 20, 2005 12:43:06 AM

Joseph William Dixon wrote:

> my level 66 Alakazam (Psychic and all 3 Punches)

My dream pokemon! But I was very discouraged when I went through the
Battle Factory and only got 3 BP for it! There's got to be a way to earn
a lot more than that, right? I need those punches! :)
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:40:07 AM

>It apparently can also play any GB game - special slot for

That is false. GBA games can be played on NDS but GB/GBC cartidges
connections don't match.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:41:31 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005, John Salerno wrote:
> Joseph William Dixon wrote:
> > my level 66 Alakazam (Psychic and all 3 Punches)
>
> My dream pokemon! But I was very discouraged when I went through the
> Battle Factory and only got 3 BP for it! There's got to be a way to earn
> a lot more than that, right? I need those punches! :)

Probably, but the Alakazam was from breeding a Medicham I traded over from
Ruby, not bought... :)

May 20, 2005 9:54:46 PM

Joseph William Dixon wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005, John Salerno wrote:
>
>>Joseph William Dixon wrote:
>>
>>>my level 66 Alakazam (Psychic and all 3 Punches)
>>
>>My dream pokemon! But I was very discouraged when I went through the
>>Battle Factory and only got 3 BP for it! There's got to be a way to earn
>>a lot more than that, right? I need those punches! :)
>

> Probably, but the Alakazam was from breeding a Medicham I traded over from
> Ruby, not bought... :)

Blast!
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:05:46 PM

daramark wrote:
> Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would
> you in my place?) I get?
>
> Choices are:
> DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it
> in the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming
> out on it? Anyone know when?
> SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play
> on in the dark while someone else does the driving. :)
>
> And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each
> new after all applicable taxes).
>
> Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If
> I can only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted
> something to play in the dark for a while now (like since SP came
> out) so I will go looking into how much they are second hand around
> here.
> daramark

We have Intec accessories for our GBAs ... bought them at the dollar store..
for a dollar each ;-) We have 2 mini-stereos (extra speakers that give a
decent sound boost) that also have a light that swings down (not too hard on
the eyes, either .. the ones we have for our original GBs really hurt my
eyes), one magnifier with a light.. it works great!! I wish I would have
grabbed the other 2 I saw that day.. once we found we liked it.. and went
back.. they were out of them :-( Oh.. and a GBA game storage case.. hard
plastic, holds about 20 games.. and has a ledge you wedge your game into for
easier holding .. especially if you have a couple accessories hooked on!

The thing I _really_ liked about these Intec accessories .. barring the
carry case, they all ran on their own batteries and not on the GBAs'
batterries.

http://www.inteclink.com/inteclink/faq/faq.asp As you see.. they are not
doing GBA anymore .. just the SP and DS.. so check your local Dollar store/
Odd lots .. and you too may get lucky.. and then spend the saved cash on
more games ;-)

We won't buy the DS or SP for a few years at least.. there are still a lot
of games the Boyz have yet to play.. and by the time the GBAs are worn out
(or broken).. something "better, newer, faster" will have come out. And not
be backwards compatible either <sigh> (Thinking of.. NES< SNES< N64<GC and
GB<GBC<GBA and the amount of money we have spent the last 10 years on games
... not even including the pc games.)

--
http://mistymage.com

To email me use peanut #&# mistymage Dot com
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:15:19 AM

Ze Killer News wrote:
>>It apparently can also play any GB game - special slot for
>
> That is false. GBA games can be played on NDS but GB/GBC cartidges
> connections don't match.

*tries it w/a Tetris pak that shipped w/the original GB*

*confirms: game pak not detected*

Score another one for research over judging based on how it looks. :)
!