Which is better?

Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you in
my place?) I get?

Choices are:
DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on it?
Anyone know when?
SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on in
the dark while someone else does the driving. :)

And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
after all applicable taxes).

Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If I can
only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted something to play in
the dark for a while now (like since SP came out) so I will go looking into
how much they are second hand around here.

daramark
13 answers Last reply
More about which better

    You can play in dark with NDS also.
    But if you need to link 2 GBA games, you won't be able to do it with a NDS,
    and GB/GBC games do not work on NDS.

    With that info, you should be able to choice ;)

    "daramark" <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
    HmBie.2049$Wp.435223@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you
    > in my place?) I get?
    >
    > Choices are:
    > DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
    > the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on
    > it? Anyone know when?
    > SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on
    > in the dark while someone else does the driving. :)
    >
    > And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
    > after all applicable taxes).
    >
    > Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If I
    > can only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted something to
    > play in the dark for a while now (like since SP came out) so I will go
    > looking into how much they are second hand around here.
    >
    > daramark

    Get the SP. since the DS wireless is incompatable with GBA wireless -- that
    was a BIG mistake in making a different wireless commununication protocol.

    In article <HmBie.2049$Wp.435223@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    daramark <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you in
    >my place?) I get?
    >
    >Choices are:
    > DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
    >the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on it?
    >Anyone know when?

    There is presumably a Pokemon game coming out for it (Pokemon Dash
    doesn't count), but I have no idea when.

    It doesn't use replaceable batteries, but rather runs on the same
    charger as the SP. This is good and bad, depending on whether you
    expect to be away from house current for several days. The screen
    is lighted.

    Advantages over the SP:
    Better screen
    Can play DS games

    > SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on in
    >the dark while someone else does the driving. :)

    Yup.

    Advantages over the DS:
    Can communicate with other Advance/SP systems (the DS can't)
    Can play older Gameboy games, such as Pokemon Crystal
    Physically smaller (fits into my pants pocket easier)

    >And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
    >after all applicable taxes).

    Emerald is the one I like best, but if you have Ruby and/or Sapphire
    I'd recommend Fire Red or Leaf Green.

    >Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If I can
    >only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted something to play in
    >the dark for a while now (like since SP came out) so I will go looking into
    >how much they are second hand around here.

    SP prices have dropped since the DS came out, so you may be in luck
    there.

    david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.

    daramark wrote:
    > Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you in
    > my place?) I get?
    >
    > Choices are:
    > DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
    > the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on it?
    > Anyone know when?
    > SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on in
    > the dark while someone else does the driving. :)

    As far as the DS/SP goes, the DS has a much brighter screen and the
    games look better on it. I would recommend waiting on the SP and getting
    the GB Micro when it comes out in the fall. Until then, you can use the
    DS for everything the SP can do, plus DS games as well, especially if
    you're considering buying it eventually anyway. Battery life is a little
    shorter (about 10 hours), but that's not such a huge deal.

    As for games, I'd splurge and get both the DS *and* Emerald! :)

    daramark wrote:
    > DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in
    > the dark?)

    I've been able to see the DS in extremely shaded conditions before. It
    does use a battery, like all GBs; unlike most, its battery is
    rechargable. It apparently can also play any GB game - special slot for
    DS-only games, and the GBA slot which is backwards-compatible with
    original GB games. The one thing it can't do is multi-GB games, for
    instance if you wanted to run one Pokemon cart and trade or battle with
    another (or, for that matter, interface to the GC and trade via the GC's
    Pokemon games).

    Since I almost never use multi-GB functionality anyway (where I travel,
    I very rarely see anyone else with a GB, and the few who do are
    inevitably strangers who wouldn't want to link up anyway), I went DS.
    But your circumstances are your circumstances.

    "daramark" <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would you in
    > my place?) I get?
    >
    > Choices are:
    > DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it in the
    > dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming out on it?
    > Anyone know when?
    > SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play on in
    > the dark while someone else does the driving. :)

    Between the DS and the SP, I'd say SP for now. The DS should have a price
    drop right before Christmas. Now you know what to ask Santa for ;)

    > And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each new
    > after all applicable taxes).

    I've played Emerald and Fire Red and looked over Sapphire. I like Emerald the
    best, hands down. The Battle Frontier is wickedly fun! You wanna talk
    challenge? The main game is more or less easy. The Frontier can kikc you in
    the jommy if your not careful.

    .... Figure of speech of course.
    --
    fluxxdog
    www.bellsouthpwp.net/f/l/fluxxdog

    On Thu, 19 May 2005, fluxxdog wrote:
    > I've played Emerald and Fire Red and looked over Sapphire. I like Emerald
    > the best, hands down. The Battle Frontier is wickedly fun! You wanna
    > talk challenge? The main game is more or less easy. The Frontier can
    > kikc you in the jommy if your not careful.

    Yep. And, despite it taking out the entire Elite 4 (first time through,
    of course) and Wallace without any help from anyone else when it was level
    50, my level 66 Alakazam (Psychic and all 3 Punches) faints quite frequently
    against the equally-leveled opposition in the Battle Frontier... (who, I'm
    convinced, cheat even more than the foes in the main game - I've yet to see
    a Supersonic, Sleep Powder, Lovely/Sweet Kiss, Hypnosis, etc., fail when
    performed by an enemy in the Frontier [currently only have the badges from
    the Pike & Dome, though, since I've taken a break to try and fill the Hoenn
    'Dex - just need Metagross, Cradily and Armaldo now - and playing a bit of
    Leaf Green when that gets boring :P])

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    Joseph William Dixon wrote:

    > my level 66 Alakazam (Psychic and all 3 Punches)

    My dream pokemon! But I was very discouraged when I went through the
    Battle Factory and only got 3 BP for it! There's got to be a way to earn
    a lot more than that, right? I need those punches! :)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    >It apparently can also play any GB game - special slot for

    That is false. GBA games can be played on NDS but GB/GBC cartidges
    connections don't match.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005, John Salerno wrote:
    > Joseph William Dixon wrote:
    > > my level 66 Alakazam (Psychic and all 3 Punches)
    >
    > My dream pokemon! But I was very discouraged when I went through the
    > Battle Factory and only got 3 BP for it! There's got to be a way to earn
    > a lot more than that, right? I need those punches! :)

    Probably, but the Alakazam was from breeding a Medicham I traded over from
    Ruby, not bought... :)

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    Joseph William Dixon wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005, John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >>Joseph William Dixon wrote:
    >>
    >>>my level 66 Alakazam (Psychic and all 3 Punches)
    >>
    >>My dream pokemon! But I was very discouraged when I went through the
    >>Battle Factory and only got 3 BP for it! There's got to be a way to earn
    >>a lot more than that, right? I need those punches! :)
    >

    > Probably, but the Alakazam was from breeding a Medicham I traded over from
    > Ruby, not bought... :)

    Blast!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    daramark wrote:
    > Supposing I get to do my own birthday shopping, what should (or would
    > you in my place?) I get?
    >
    > Choices are:
    > DS to play on (but it uses batteries, doesn't it? Could I see it
    > in the dark?) Most expensive, but isn't there a Pokemon game coming
    > out on it? Anyone know when?
    > SP (best price wise as I can probably get it second hand) to play
    > on in the dark while someone else does the driving. :)
    >
    > And/or Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green. (probably just under $60. each
    > new after all applicable taxes).
    >
    > Money being an issue I might be able to get one of these options. If
    > I can only get one it will probably be a game. I have wanted
    > something to play in the dark for a while now (like since SP came
    > out) so I will go looking into how much they are second hand around
    > here.
    > daramark

    We have Intec accessories for our GBAs ... bought them at the dollar store..
    for a dollar each ;-) We have 2 mini-stereos (extra speakers that give a
    decent sound boost) that also have a light that swings down (not too hard on
    the eyes, either .. the ones we have for our original GBs really hurt my
    eyes), one magnifier with a light.. it works great!! I wish I would have
    grabbed the other 2 I saw that day.. once we found we liked it.. and went
    back.. they were out of them :-( Oh.. and a GBA game storage case.. hard
    plastic, holds about 20 games.. and has a ledge you wedge your game into for
    easier holding .. especially if you have a couple accessories hooked on!

    The thing I _really_ liked about these Intec accessories .. barring the
    carry case, they all ran on their own batteries and not on the GBAs'
    batterries.

    http://www.inteclink.com/inteclink/faq/faq.asp As you see.. they are not
    doing GBA anymore .. just the SP and DS.. so check your local Dollar store/
    Odd lots .. and you too may get lucky.. and then spend the saved cash on
    more games ;-)

    We won't buy the DS or SP for a few years at least.. there are still a lot
    of games the Boyz have yet to play.. and by the time the GBAs are worn out
    (or broken).. something "better, newer, faster" will have come out. And not
    be backwards compatible either <sigh> (Thinking of.. NES< SNES< N64<GC and
    GB<GBC<GBA and the amount of money we have spent the last 10 years on games
    ... not even including the pc games.)

    --
    http://mistymage.com

    To email me use peanut #&# mistymage Dot com
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    Ze Killer News wrote:
    >>It apparently can also play any GB game - special slot for
    >
    > That is false. GBA games can be played on NDS but GB/GBC cartidges
    > connections don't match.

    *tries it w/a Tetris pak that shipped w/the original GB*

    *confirms: game pak not detected*

    Score another one for research over judging based on how it looks. :)

Games Nintendo Video Games