DVI to HDMI quality loss?

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 4, 2004 10:26:19 AM

I shopping for a new TV for my VOOM satellite HDTV. I've narrowed down the
choice to 2 Sony TV's, the Sony XBR KD-34XBR960 with HDMI inputs or the
Sony KV-34HS420 with DVI inputs. My VOOM reciever only has a DVI output.
The Sony manual for the XBR TV say's I can use a DVI to HDMI adapter cable.
I'd like to buy the XBR TV but I got 3 questions:

1. will I lose any picture quality using a DVI to HDMI adapter?
3. If so, since the Sony KV-34HS420 has a DVI input, will I get better
picture quality using strait DVI to DVI rather that DVI to HDMI on the XBR?
2. I've seen DVI to HDMI adapter cables selling on Ebay for 10 dollars,
will I lose any picture quality using cheaper cables vs. more expensive
cables?

More about : dvi hdmi quality loss

October 4, 2004 3:24:28 PM

"Anthony Page" <someone@somewhere.in.summertime> wrote in message
>I shopping for a new TV for my VOOM satellite HDTV. I've narrowed down the
> choice to 2 Sony TV's, the Sony XBR KD-34XBR960 with HDMI inputs or the
> Sony KV-34HS420 with DVI inputs. My VOOM reciever only has a DVI output.
> The Sony manual for the XBR TV say's I can use a DVI to HDMI adapter
> cable.
> I'd like to buy the XBR TV but I got 3 questions:
>
> 1. will I lose any picture quality using a DVI to HDMI adapter?
> 3. If so, since the Sony KV-34HS420 has a DVI input, will I get better
> picture quality using strait DVI to DVI rather that DVI to HDMI on the
> XBR?
> 2. I've seen DVI to HDMI adapter cables selling on Ebay for 10 dollars,
> will I lose any picture quality using cheaper cables vs. more expensive
> cables?

No.
No.
No; unless the adapter is overtly defective.

Richard.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 9:03:21 PM

I have the KV30HS420 and it has HDMI, which I use with Voom very well by way
of adapter cable. I am surprised that the 34 inch model does not have HDMI.

--Dan

"Anthony Page" <someone@somewhere.in.summertime> wrote in message
> I shopping for a new TV for my VOOM satellite HDTV. I've narrowed down the
> choice to 2 Sony TV's, the Sony XBR KD-34XBR960 with HDMI inputs or the
> Sony KV-34HS420 with DVI inputs. My VOOM reciever only has a DVI output.
> The Sony manual for the XBR TV say's I can use a DVI to HDMI adapter
cable.
> I'd like to buy the XBR TV but I got 3 questions:
>
> 1. will I lose any picture quality using a DVI to HDMI adapter?
> 3. If so, since the Sony KV-34HS420 has a DVI input, will I get better
> picture quality using strait DVI to DVI rather that DVI to HDMI on the
XBR?
> 2. I've seen DVI to HDMI adapter cables selling on Ebay for 10 dollars,
> will I lose any picture quality using cheaper cables vs. more expensive
> cables?
October 5, 2004 2:50:53 PM

Anthony Page wrote:

> I shopping for a new TV for my VOOM satellite HDTV. I've narrowed down the
> choice to 2 Sony TV's, the Sony XBR KD-34XBR960 with HDMI inputs or the
> Sony KV-34HS420 with DVI inputs. My VOOM reciever only has a DVI output.
> The Sony manual for the XBR TV say's I can use a DVI to HDMI adapter cable.
> I'd like to buy the XBR TV but I got 3 questions:
>
> 1. will I lose any picture quality using a DVI to HDMI adapter?
> 3. If so, since the Sony KV-34HS420 has a DVI input, will I get better
> picture quality using strait DVI to DVI rather that DVI to HDMI on the XBR?
> 2. I've seen DVI to HDMI adapter cables selling on Ebay for 10 dollars,
> will I lose any picture quality using cheaper cables vs. more expensive
> cables?

In short, a DVI is digital video pass thru signal only...

I believe HDMI passes thru both digital video AND audio...

In both cases the Sony HDTV set processes the digital video
signals into a very good HD TV picture...
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 5:08:30 PM

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:24:28 -0400, "Richard" <rfeirste at
nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>"Anthony Page" <someone@somewhere.in.summertime> wrote in message
>>I shopping for a new TV for my VOOM satellite HDTV. I've narrowed down the
>> choice to 2 Sony TV's, the Sony XBR KD-34XBR960 with HDMI inputs or the
>> Sony KV-34HS420 with DVI inputs. My VOOM reciever only has a DVI output.
>> The Sony manual for the XBR TV say's I can use a DVI to HDMI adapter
>> cable.
>> I'd like to buy the XBR TV but I got 3 questions:
>>
>> 1. will I lose any picture quality using a DVI to HDMI adapter?
>> 3. If so, since the Sony KV-34HS420 has a DVI input, will I get better
>> picture quality using strait DVI to DVI rather that DVI to HDMI on the
>> XBR?
>> 2. I've seen DVI to HDMI adapter cables selling on Ebay for 10 dollars,
>> will I lose any picture quality using cheaper cables vs. more expensive
>> cables?
>
>No.
>No.
>No; unless the adapter is overtly defective.
>
>Richard.

I bought the KD-34XBR960 set a few months ago. The XBR chassis has
the enhancer chip that improves any picture input. I'm not sure of
other models.

I'm using the component cable hookup and get a fantastic picture.
I found most displays like in the HDTV showrooms also use component
cables.

I have considered buying the $75 to $125 digital cable but im not sure
if its that much better.

hdtvfan
!