smirkus

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I am thinking of building my own computer. However, my old Dell came with XP Pro, and I downloaded the free SP2 onto it. Will I have to buy a new XP Pro for my homebuilt, or can I use the Dell Cds that came with my Dell that contain XP pro to install that onto my new computer?

Also, is there a difference in buying Windows XP and spending more and buying Windows XP Pro SP2? Or can I just spend less then download sp2 (which comes with sp1 in it I know)? THanks.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You absolutely can't use your OEM XP. It is married to your Dell hardware.

You must purchase another XP to install on your new unit.

As a home user, you do not need PRO. It was designed for business use, with "beefed up" security & network muscle.

If you can get your hands on a 98 OS cd, you should get the Home Update version which will be your cheapest buy. (You pop the 98 in when it asks for proof). It will most likely come with SP2 on it; but if not, you can always download it when your install is complete and you're connected. It will be probably be cheaper without it.

If there were other programs or services you got used to with PRO that do not install in Home as default, you can find them on the Home cd after you're up & running.

Can't use Dell CD on homebuilt computer... so the short answer there is no.

As for buying XP Pro... any recent copy you buy will already have SP2 integrated. You won't save any money buying a SP1 CD unless someone is having a big sale.