I keep getting a windows message telling me EDow.exe has encountered a
problem and needs to close. From what I have been able to find out, it is
spyware. Is this correct? How do I get rid of this? I've got NIS and ran
Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta but they do not seem to solve the problem.
Please forgive me if this topic has been brought up before. I'm a little
sick of looking and searching for answers.

Hi,

Try these:

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

The MS spyware product is a beta and only keys on a few certain bugs. NIS
would be practically useless for this as well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"jim.macintyre@ntlworld.remove.com" <jim.macintyre@ntlworld.com> wrote in
message news:eCv3e.488$il.224@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>I keep getting a windows message telling me EDow.exe has encountered a
>problem and needs to close. From what I have been able to find out, it is
>spyware. Is this correct? How do I get rid of this? I've got NIS and ran
>Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta but they do not seem to solve the problem.
>Please forgive me if this topic has been brought up before. I'm a little
>sick of looking and searching for answers.

jeff

complete instructions for manual removal can be found here:
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453083037

For future reference.... A goggle search for EDow.exe brought up 187
results. A quick scanning of the site descriptions led to this very complete
and helpful site. The search to find a solution to this problem took less
than a minute.

Jeff