which dvi slot do i plug my single monitor into?

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Im using one monitor with one of those dvi to vga convertors that comes with most graphics cards. does it matter which of the two dvi slots i use to plug the monitor into?

4745454b

Titan
LOL, I had this same problem. I hooked my 17" CRT monitor up to my x1800XT when I first bought it. At first I wasn't sure which plug to use, so I simply tried one. It worked, and I thought everything was fine. The next part of the project (about two weeks after I finished building the computer) was to hook up my TV via Svideo. For some reason, I couldn't get that to work. I spent about an hour messing with video settings in windows trying to get the TV working. Just before I was about to throw the whole thing out the window, I remember something. Output "1" will work, but output "2" can be EITHER DVI or Svideo, not both. I switched the monitor over to the other DVI, and plugged the Svideo cable in, and haven't had any issues since. (I remember reading about the "limitation" of the second DVI port back in the days of the 9800pro, I thought they had fixed it by now...)

In short, if all your using is the monitor, it won't matter. But as soon as you go to dual screens, it might. If the screen your hooking up is a TV and you need the Svideo port, then the monitor needs to be on display 1.

TRENDING THREADS