Could someone explain...

JonM

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
...about Core 2 Duo CPUs please?

I am looking at buying the following:

1 x Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
1 x Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
1 x GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX21GB6400UDC)

from Overclockers UK http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-036-OK for £266 whish I thought was pretty good (I will also add a PCI-E X1950 pro and a new PSU and keep the rest of my PC).

But, the last CPU I bought was my current AMD 3200+, which at that time it was all about Ghz muscle and you got the biggest Ghz CPU you could afford.

Well, it seems that has changed with the Core 2 Duos? The one I am looking at is 1.86Ghz and my AMD is rated at 2.2Ghz, so why is the Duo better? I have seen very favourable comments about this CPU and the whole bundle seems very good and I will be on the PCI-E ladder at least!

So will I see a massive difference with what I propose to buy? And, secondly I have only ever had and fitted AMD CPUs are the Intel ones easy as well? I will also get an Antec TruePower Trio 550W PSU, is that good enough to power this lot?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I'd be happy to explain. Clock speed isn't everything when it comes to performance. The Core 2 Duo is a more efficient architecture than the older Pentium 4 / Pentium D processors and even the Athlon64 architecture (which the X2 processors are also based off of). By having a more efficient core architecture, the Core 2 Duo processors can do more work per clock cycle than their predecessors; that is, every Hz does more work than that of the previous generation. A somewhat general way to look at it is to say that a Core 2 Duo would require a Pentium 4 of double the clockspeed to achieve the same performance. So, a 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo would equal or exceed a 3.6~Ghz P4 in most benchmarks.

Analogy time: Think of the CPU as a highway. Your processor would be a three lane highway, the Core 2 Duo would be a four lane highway. Thus, the three lane highway would have to be moving its traffic at a faster pace (more Mhz/Ghz) to achieve the same car throughput of the four lane highway moving at a slower pace.

It is the same principle as why the Athlon64s performed better than P4s and Pentium Ds for a few years - except Core 2 Duo does it even better.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Nothing i can add that Jack & AJ haven't already said....other than... that is a nice "combo" of parts, and will work well together. Should you decide to overclock, they're good parts for the job. GL :)

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I would recommend a low-end Core 2 Duo processor; the original clockspeed is barley an indicator of what the processor is designed to do; you could overclock a E6300 to the speeds of a X6800; a fifth the cost for the same preformance.

Current Intel architecture "Core" is very capable; the Conroe core has the best preformance/watt at the speeds of the E6700; 2.7ghz is a great spot while keeping under 65 watts (anything beyond is 75 watts, iirc). We can thank Intel for the netburst years; those processors reached high temperatures and clock speeds; they're outdated now but reaching about 4ghz gives Intel the experience to bring speeds like that to current architecture. Most Core 2 chips will be capable of hitting at least 3ghz, most 4ghz with better cooling.