How will the 8800gts perform?

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I wanna get the evga 8800gts 640mb but i got 2 quick questions. i only have a Pentium D 820 over clocked to 3.2 with 1 gig of ram so how would it run compared to my 6600 i have rite now. also im wondering since the south bridge is rite below the pcie slot towards the end of it so would the 8800gts clear it. also whats a good psu thats not to expensive to run it good and maybe add another in like October when birthday time comes around.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
hmmm, Idk, that mobo might not work... the southbridge is right below the slot, and the cooler of the GTS might get in the way.. Im not sure, but that board is pretty ghetto for a 8800, or any other high end card for that matter
Idk for sure, but It might get in the way, find some measurements for GTX cooler, and then messure a pci-e slot, and calculate it relative to that board

As for a temporary PSU, Id get one with at least 30 Amps total from all the 12v+ rails, 400W minimum. Id go to probably 500..

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
you think i could take off the south bridge cooler or would it just overheat instantly and what exactly would i measure. i was pretty skeptical of the cooler when i was buying it but i posted b4 and they said it was fine but now im getting more thoughts in my head that it wont work

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
well it will work the way it is, but I'm not sure about removing it, I think it will probably overheat, if u are gonna but a 8800GTS anyways, just buy it now, if it works, great. if it doesn't just wait till u get a new mobo....

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
hmm wouldnt really wanna wait until i get another 250 for a new 680i tho. i was thinking instead or removing it just dremal away some of the heat sink fins until it fits like remove half of them would it still cool or just be retarded

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
hmm, not sure, but didn't you say you were gonna buy a new mobo anyways?
So Id say buy it, try it, if it doesn't work then try to get some off, and maybe even put a small fan on or near it..

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
True True, fan in front of the HDDs can blow through to the heatsink. If your gonna get a 8800GTS anyways, and a new mobo later, might as well get it now and if it doesn't work just save it... I would hold off on any overclocking because that can heat the north and south bridges, so if u OC you could heat your modded thing.. Plus a 80 dollar board prolly won't OC to well anyways.

Edit: Wait wait, The GTS heatsink extends past the southbridge, but the southbridge is no higher than the PCI-E slot, and the GTS doesn't get any closer to the board than the PCI-E slot, so i think it might fitt alright, or with minimal mods, also there are capacitors nearby, If the SB interferes so will the capacitors, but I don't think either will now... :wink:

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well i took the best pics i could of around the south bridge area and heres what im dealing with and hopefully having it fit.
southbridgepics001.jpg

southbridgepics002.jpg

southbridgepics003.jpg

southbridgepics004.jpg