navtiidia

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
ok, i posted this everywhere and no one could help me.

here it is in the most detail i can explain it

[start to story]
a while back i needed to format my computer. and i remembered i had a alienware windows xp prof sp1 cd. and i didnt wanna wait to download the sp2 pack. so i slipstreemed it. also while doing this i removed services to maximize the avail memory when running it.
[problem start]
i then installed it on my alienware laptop and then later on my costom desktop pc i built.
[main intro to problem]
the issue is that i cannot access either computer through the network.
i know it isnt my router or anything, and if you say that is the issue. i will promptly kill you.
the issue is with the services i removed. i dont have the "windows firewall and ICS service". i think thats the one i need.
[pre-requsits]
i do not wanna format again. i hate loosing all my stuff. and i cant backup multi DVD sized sets of things.
also i have everything configed the way i want.
here is some hardware info for yous
http://www.writely.com/View.aspx?docID=ag7kbxd896bm&revision=_latest

thank you very much
- JACK

No, you don't need the Windows Firewall & ICS service to access computers over a network. Only if you're running the Windows Firewall or Internet Connection Sharing do you need this.

Do you have any network shares set up?

navtiidia

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i have my mac osx computer set up over vnc. also the ibook too. i can access them. but thoes two computers (the pcs) cant be accessed either from eachother (xcept localhost) or the macs.

they are shared and everything. i think. should be.

i set up a webserver that hosts my F@H stats and i cant access it over LAN.

do you mean shares like a shared drive?

also here are my services (a tabed txt file)

edit... also when i try to run the win F & ICS in the panel. it gives me an error saying it isnt installed.