Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

xp modem sharing

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:11:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

yo,

have dual boot sys, 98 & xp.
xp recent addition, but 98 has modem.
whats quickest route to giving xp a share
of modem?
is there much fiddling in device mngr... add/rem?

Croak!

More about : modem sharing

April 3, 2005 3:11:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

yo,

you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup (and thus
your modem device in your system).
If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for this device.
if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know what make
and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the manufacturer
site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other 'independent'
driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com

george


"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
news:%23QGlzD4NFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> yo,
>
> have dual boot sys, 98 & xp.
> xp recent addition, but 98 has modem.
> whats quickest route to giving xp a share
> of modem?
> is there much fiddling in device mngr... add/rem?
>
> Croak!
>
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 9:59:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

> you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
> your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup (and thus
> your modem device in your system).
> If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for this
device.
> if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know what make
> and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the manufacturer
> site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other
'independent'
> driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com
>
> george

thanks for reply george, but you kinda lost me in your answer.
you said that 98 & xp cannot share the modem, but then you go
on to say that if the correct drivers are installed within xp then it
can use the modem..........??????

here is my setup:::::
i have win98 & xp on dual-boot.
i have an external modem, its being used right now as I am
in win98 at the moment.
win98 must already have the correct drivers, so if its possible for xp
to use the modem, then could i just go and copy them from wherever
they are kept in 98?

anyhow, i'm still confused as to whether i can have xp on the internet or
not due to your opening answer........ could you clarify it a bit please.

froggy
Related resources
April 3, 2005 9:59:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
news:exd%23lbCOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>> you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
>> your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup (and thus
>> your modem device in your system).
>> If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for this
> device.
>> if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know what
>> make
>> and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the manufacturer
>> site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other
> 'independent'
>> driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com
>>
>> george
>
> thanks for reply george, but you kinda lost me in your answer.
> you said that 98 & xp cannot share the modem, but then you go
> on to say that if the correct drivers are installed within xp then it
> can use the modem..........??????
>
> here is my setup:::::
> i have win98 & xp on dual-boot.
> i have an external modem, its being used right now as I am
> in win98 at the moment.
> win98 must already have the correct drivers, so if its possible for xp
> to use the modem, then could i just go and copy them from wherever
> they are kept in 98?
>
> anyhow, i'm still confused as to whether i can have xp on the internet or
> not due to your opening answer........ could you clarify it a bit
> please.
>
> froggy
>
>

Trying to 'un-lose' you.

In a dual-boot setup like yours there will always be only 1 os that is
actually operational.
This means, that it is totally and utterly irrelevant what you have
installed in say OS-1 when it comes to running OS-2.
So, having your modem physically hooked up to machine makes it possible to
be used in either OS.
However, for that to happen you need to install driver software in both OS-1
AND OS-2.
So you cannot 'share' the modem installed in win98 to be used in XP, because
when XP is operational, win98 is NOT and therefore cannot use any software
that you might have installed for it in win98.
The reverse is true as well. When win98 is operational (ie. running) it
cannot use anything you have (software-wise) installed in XP.
This is all the more true because the 'device-driver-software-model' used by
XP differs fundamentally from the one used in win98.
I.O.W. if you have both win98 and XP with device X physically present in
your machine you have to do the following:
start win98 and install the win98 version of the device drivers for device
X.
next
start xp and install the xp version of the device drivers for the same
device X.
Now you can use that device X in either OS.

hope this clears things up for you.

george
April 3, 2005 9:59:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

They don't, "Share", when you boot to whichever OS, your modem is used by
that OS and not shared from the point of the OS.

From your point of view, they do share.

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:#GGF32COFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
> news:exd%23lbCOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >
> >> you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
> >> your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup (and
thus
> >> your modem device in your system).
> >> If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for this
> > device.
> >> if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know what
> >> make
> >> and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the
manufacturer
> >> site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other
> > 'independent'
> >> driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com
> >>
> >> george
> >
> > thanks for reply george, but you kinda lost me in your answer.
> > you said that 98 & xp cannot share the modem, but then you go
> > on to say that if the correct drivers are installed within xp then it
> > can use the modem..........??????
> >
> > here is my setup:::::
> > i have win98 & xp on dual-boot.
> > i have an external modem, its being used right now as I am
> > in win98 at the moment.
> > win98 must already have the correct drivers, so if its possible for xp
> > to use the modem, then could i just go and copy them from wherever
> > they are kept in 98?
> >
> > anyhow, i'm still confused as to whether i can have xp on the internet
or
> > not due to your opening answer........ could you clarify it a bit
> > please.
> >
> > froggy
> >
> >
>
> Trying to 'un-lose' you.
>
> In a dual-boot setup like yours there will always be only 1 os that is
> actually operational.
> This means, that it is totally and utterly irrelevant what you have
> installed in say OS-1 when it comes to running OS-2.
> So, having your modem physically hooked up to machine makes it possible to
> be used in either OS.
> However, for that to happen you need to install driver software in both
OS-1
> AND OS-2.
> So you cannot 'share' the modem installed in win98 to be used in XP,
because
> when XP is operational, win98 is NOT and therefore cannot use any software
> that you might have installed for it in win98.
> The reverse is true as well. When win98 is operational (ie. running) it
> cannot use anything you have (software-wise) installed in XP.
> This is all the more true because the 'device-driver-software-model' used
by
> XP differs fundamentally from the one used in win98.
> I.O.W. if you have both win98 and XP with device X physically present in
> your machine you have to do the following:
> start win98 and install the win98 version of the device drivers for device
> X.
> next
> start xp and install the xp version of the device drivers for the same
> device X.
> Now you can use that device X in either OS.
>
> hope this clears things up for you.
>
> george
>
>
April 3, 2005 9:59:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Shaun,

Did I imply that somewhere in my explanation attempt??

george


"Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
news:%23Chfv1EOFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> They don't, "Share", when you boot to whichever OS, your modem is used by
> that OS and not shared from the point of the OS.
>
> From your point of view, they do share.
>
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:#GGF32COFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
>> news:exd%23lbCOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> >
>> >> you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
>> >> your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup (and
> thus
>> >> your modem device in your system).
>> >> If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for this
>> > device.
>> >> if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know what
>> >> make
>> >> and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the
> manufacturer
>> >> site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other
>> > 'independent'
>> >> driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com
>> >>
>> >> george
>> >
>> > thanks for reply george, but you kinda lost me in your answer.
>> > you said that 98 & xp cannot share the modem, but then you go
>> > on to say that if the correct drivers are installed within xp then it
>> > can use the modem..........??????
>> >
>> > here is my setup:::::
>> > i have win98 & xp on dual-boot.
>> > i have an external modem, its being used right now as I am
>> > in win98 at the moment.
>> > win98 must already have the correct drivers, so if its possible for xp
>> > to use the modem, then could i just go and copy them from wherever
>> > they are kept in 98?
>> >
>> > anyhow, i'm still confused as to whether i can have xp on the internet
> or
>> > not due to your opening answer........ could you clarify it a bit
>> > please.
>> >
>> > froggy
>> >
>> >
>>
>> Trying to 'un-lose' you.
>>
>> In a dual-boot setup like yours there will always be only 1 os that is
>> actually operational.
>> This means, that it is totally and utterly irrelevant what you have
>> installed in say OS-1 when it comes to running OS-2.
>> So, having your modem physically hooked up to machine makes it possible
>> to
>> be used in either OS.
>> However, for that to happen you need to install driver software in both
> OS-1
>> AND OS-2.
>> So you cannot 'share' the modem installed in win98 to be used in XP,
> because
>> when XP is operational, win98 is NOT and therefore cannot use any
>> software
>> that you might have installed for it in win98.
>> The reverse is true as well. When win98 is operational (ie. running) it
>> cannot use anything you have (software-wise) installed in XP.
>> This is all the more true because the 'device-driver-software-model' used
> by
>> XP differs fundamentally from the one used in win98.
>> I.O.W. if you have both win98 and XP with device X physically present in
>> your machine you have to do the following:
>> start win98 and install the win98 version of the device drivers for
>> device
>> X.
>> next
>> start xp and install the xp version of the device drivers for the same
>> device X.
>> Now you can use that device X in either OS.
>>
>> hope this clears things up for you.
>>
>> george
>>
>>
>
>
April 3, 2005 9:59:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

No you did not, It was meant to be for the OP, the only thread left was your
post.

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ejhyyDFOFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Shaun,
>
> Did I imply that somewhere in my explanation attempt??
>
> george
>
>
> "Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
> news:%23Chfv1EOFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > They don't, "Share", when you boot to whichever OS, your modem is used
by
> > that OS and not shared from the point of the OS.
> >
> > From your point of view, they do share.
> >
> > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:#GGF32COFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
> >> news:exd%23lbCOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> >
> >> >> you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
> >> >> your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup (and
> > thus
> >> >> your modem device in your system).
> >> >> If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for this
> >> > device.
> >> >> if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know
what
> >> >> make
> >> >> and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the
> > manufacturer
> >> >> site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other
> >> > 'independent'
> >> >> driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com
> >> >>
> >> >> george
> >> >
> >> > thanks for reply george, but you kinda lost me in your answer.
> >> > you said that 98 & xp cannot share the modem, but then you go
> >> > on to say that if the correct drivers are installed within xp then it
> >> > can use the modem..........??????
> >> >
> >> > here is my setup:::::
> >> > i have win98 & xp on dual-boot.
> >> > i have an external modem, its being used right now as I am
> >> > in win98 at the moment.
> >> > win98 must already have the correct drivers, so if its possible for
xp
> >> > to use the modem, then could i just go and copy them from wherever
> >> > they are kept in 98?
> >> >
> >> > anyhow, i'm still confused as to whether i can have xp on the
internet
> > or
> >> > not due to your opening answer........ could you clarify it a bit
> >> > please.
> >> >
> >> > froggy
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >> Trying to 'un-lose' you.
> >>
> >> In a dual-boot setup like yours there will always be only 1 os that is
> >> actually operational.
> >> This means, that it is totally and utterly irrelevant what you have
> >> installed in say OS-1 when it comes to running OS-2.
> >> So, having your modem physically hooked up to machine makes it possible
> >> to
> >> be used in either OS.
> >> However, for that to happen you need to install driver software in both
> > OS-1
> >> AND OS-2.
> >> So you cannot 'share' the modem installed in win98 to be used in XP,
> > because
> >> when XP is operational, win98 is NOT and therefore cannot use any
> >> software
> >> that you might have installed for it in win98.
> >> The reverse is true as well. When win98 is operational (ie. running) it
> >> cannot use anything you have (software-wise) installed in XP.
> >> This is all the more true because the 'device-driver-software-model'
used
> > by
> >> XP differs fundamentally from the one used in win98.
> >> I.O.W. if you have both win98 and XP with device X physically present
in
> >> your machine you have to do the following:
> >> start win98 and install the win98 version of the device drivers for
> >> device
> >> X.
> >> next
> >> start xp and install the xp version of the device drivers for the same
> >> device X.
> >> Now you can use that device X in either OS.
> >>
> >> hope this clears things up for you.
> >>
> >> george
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:57:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Okay okay guys,,,,,,,

so, would i be on the right track if i were to go looking for drivers
for my 'external modem' but to look for only those compatable with
xp, even though it is the same modem?
and once found, i should put them/it in a folder and then tell xp to
go fetch them from said folder,? (i guess i would do this while
letting xp do a search for drivers while in Device Manager or
similar)
seems a little odd to me that the Actual Driver that runs the modem
cannot be copied across to a different o/s, because its the Driver that
is important, isnt it? and not the o/s that has it.
in other words, if win98 has the driver stashed somewhere, cant i
just go fetch it?

oh, i am Not using ntfs for xp....... hence 98 can see all that xp
does and visa versa...... does this help or make a difference?

froggy
"Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
news:#0QHmHFOFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> No you did not, It was meant to be for the OP, the only thread left was
your
> post.
>
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ejhyyDFOFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Shaun,
> >
> > Did I imply that somewhere in my explanation attempt??
> >
> > george
> >
> >
> > "Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23Chfv1EOFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > They don't, "Share", when you boot to whichever OS, your modem is used
> by
> > > that OS and not shared from the point of the OS.
> > >
> > > From your point of view, they do share.
> > >
> > > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:#GGF32COFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > >>
> > >> "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
> > >> news:exd%23lbCOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > >> >
> > >> >> you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
> > >> >> your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup
(and
> > > thus
> > >> >> your modem device in your system).
> > >> >> If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for
this
> > >> > device.
> > >> >> if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know
> what
> > >> >> make
> > >> >> and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the
> > > manufacturer
> > >> >> site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other
> > >> > 'independent'
> > >> >> driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com
> > >> >>
> > >> >> george
> > >> >
> > >> > thanks for reply george, but you kinda lost me in your answer.
> > >> > you said that 98 & xp cannot share the modem, but then you go
> > >> > on to say that if the correct drivers are installed within xp then
it
> > >> > can use the modem..........??????
> > >> >
> > >> > here is my setup:::::
> > >> > i have win98 & xp on dual-boot.
> > >> > i have an external modem, its being used right now as I am
> > >> > in win98 at the moment.
> > >> > win98 must already have the correct drivers, so if its possible for
> xp
> > >> > to use the modem, then could i just go and copy them from wherever
> > >> > they are kept in 98?
> > >> >
> > >> > anyhow, i'm still confused as to whether i can have xp on the
> internet
> > > or
> > >> > not due to your opening answer........ could you clarify it a bit
> > >> > please.
> > >> >
> > >> > froggy
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >> Trying to 'un-lose' you.
> > >>
> > >> In a dual-boot setup like yours there will always be only 1 os that
is
> > >> actually operational.
> > >> This means, that it is totally and utterly irrelevant what you have
> > >> installed in say OS-1 when it comes to running OS-2.
> > >> So, having your modem physically hooked up to machine makes it
possible
> > >> to
> > >> be used in either OS.
> > >> However, for that to happen you need to install driver software in
both
> > > OS-1
> > >> AND OS-2.
> > >> So you cannot 'share' the modem installed in win98 to be used in XP,
> > > because
> > >> when XP is operational, win98 is NOT and therefore cannot use any
> > >> software
> > >> that you might have installed for it in win98.
> > >> The reverse is true as well. When win98 is operational (ie. running)
it
> > >> cannot use anything you have (software-wise) installed in XP.
> > >> This is all the more true because the 'device-driver-software-model'
> used
> > > by
> > >> XP differs fundamentally from the one used in win98.
> > >> I.O.W. if you have both win98 and XP with device X physically present
> in
> > >> your machine you have to do the following:
> > >> start win98 and install the win98 version of the device drivers for
> > >> device
> > >> X.
> > >> next
> > >> start xp and install the xp version of the device drivers for the
same
> > >> device X.
> > >> Now you can use that device X in either OS.
> > >>
> > >> hope this clears things up for you.
> > >>
> > >> george
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
April 5, 2005 2:57:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

inline


"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
news:uFEnZmROFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Okay okay guys,,,,,,,
>
> so, would i be on the right track if i were to go looking for drivers
> for my 'external modem' but to look for only those compatable with
> xp, even though it is the same modem?
right track


> and once found, i should put them/it in a folder and then tell xp to
> go fetch them from said folder,?
yes and no. this kind'o depends on the form it is delivered in.
eg. if it is a plain zipfile, you need to unzip it.
if it is a self-extracting zipfile, you need to run it te get it extracted.
if the self-extracting zipfile was put together to automatically run the
associated setup routine (if there is one!) then the stuff gets installed
right away.
If there is no setup routine for this driver then you have to go into Device
Manager (your next point), select properties for the modem (if it has
already been detected by XP) and try the Update Driver button.
Then point to the folder where you have the driver.


> (i guess i would do this while
> letting xp do a search for drivers while in Device Manager or
> similar)
> seems a little odd to me that the Actual Driver that runs the modem
> cannot be copied across to a different o/s, because its the Driver that
> is important, isnt it? and not the o/s that has it.
> in other words, if win98 has the driver stashed somewhere, cant i
> just go fetch it?
well, you can but it won't work.
Why? Because as I stated before, the way that device driver software has to
be written (ie. developed) for XP is fundamentally different from the way
this had to be done for win98. Because of the way these versions of Windows
were designed by MS the way XP 'communicates' with peripheral devices
(modems, printers, etc.) is totally different from the way this happened in
win98.
So, in general, win98 drivers (of any kind) will not work for XP.

>
> oh, i am Not using ntfs for xp....... hence 98 can see all that xp
> does and visa versa...... does this help or make a difference?
as per previous point, it does not matter if you can read the file. the
contents of the file determines if it works or not, not the fact that you
can read the file from the filesystem (ie. the disk)

Again, I strongly urge you to pick up some book on the workings of XP and
how to deal with it.
As you are going now, I have a strong feeling you will run into more walls
as you get further,
if you keep applying win98 knowledge (good as it might be) to the
functioning of XP.
Just do yourself that favor.

hth

george



>
> froggy
> "Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
> news:#0QHmHFOFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> No you did not, It was meant to be for the OP, the only thread left was
> your
>> post.
>>
>> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:ejhyyDFOFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > Shaun,
>> >
>> > Did I imply that somewhere in my explanation attempt??
>> >
>> > george
>> >
>> >
>> > "Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
>> > news:%23Chfv1EOFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > > They don't, "Share", when you boot to whichever OS, your modem is
>> > > used
>> by
>> > > that OS and not shared from the point of the OS.
>> > >
>> > > From your point of view, they do share.
>> > >
>> > > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > > news:#GGF32COFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > >>
>> > >> "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
>> > >> news:exd%23lbCOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > >> >
>> > >> >> you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
>> > >> >> your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup
> (and
>> > > thus
>> > >> >> your modem device in your system).
>> > >> >> If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for
> this
>> > >> > device.
>> > >> >> if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know
>> what
>> > >> >> make
>> > >> >> and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the
>> > > manufacturer
>> > >> >> site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other
>> > >> > 'independent'
>> > >> >> driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com
>> > >> >>
>> > >> >> george
>> > >> >
>> > >> > thanks for reply george, but you kinda lost me in your answer.
>> > >> > you said that 98 & xp cannot share the modem, but then you go
>> > >> > on to say that if the correct drivers are installed within xp then
> it
>> > >> > can use the modem..........??????
>> > >> >
>> > >> > here is my setup:::::
>> > >> > i have win98 & xp on dual-boot.
>> > >> > i have an external modem, its being used right now as I am
>> > >> > in win98 at the moment.
>> > >> > win98 must already have the correct drivers, so if its possible
>> > >> > for
>> xp
>> > >> > to use the modem, then could i just go and copy them from wherever
>> > >> > they are kept in 98?
>> > >> >
>> > >> > anyhow, i'm still confused as to whether i can have xp on the
>> internet
>> > > or
>> > >> > not due to your opening answer........ could you clarify it a
>> > >> > bit
>> > >> > please.
>> > >> >
>> > >> > froggy
>> > >> >
>> > >> >
>> > >>
>> > >> Trying to 'un-lose' you.
>> > >>
>> > >> In a dual-boot setup like yours there will always be only 1 os that
> is
>> > >> actually operational.
>> > >> This means, that it is totally and utterly irrelevant what you have
>> > >> installed in say OS-1 when it comes to running OS-2.
>> > >> So, having your modem physically hooked up to machine makes it
> possible
>> > >> to
>> > >> be used in either OS.
>> > >> However, for that to happen you need to install driver software in
> both
>> > > OS-1
>> > >> AND OS-2.
>> > >> So you cannot 'share' the modem installed in win98 to be used in XP,
>> > > because
>> > >> when XP is operational, win98 is NOT and therefore cannot use any
>> > >> software
>> > >> that you might have installed for it in win98.
>> > >> The reverse is true as well. When win98 is operational (ie. running)
> it
>> > >> cannot use anything you have (software-wise) installed in XP.
>> > >> This is all the more true because the 'device-driver-software-model'
>> used
>> > > by
>> > >> XP differs fundamentally from the one used in win98.
>> > >> I.O.W. if you have both win98 and XP with device X physically
>> > >> present
>> in
>> > >> your machine you have to do the following:
>> > >> start win98 and install the win98 version of the device drivers for
>> > >> device
>> > >> X.
>> > >> next
>> > >> start xp and install the xp version of the device drivers for the
> same
>> > >> device X.
>> > >> Now you can use that device X in either OS.
>> > >>
>> > >> hope this clears things up for you.
>> > >>
>> > >> george
>> > >>
>> > >>
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:28:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

For an external modem, the "drivers" will typically consist solely of modem
initialization strings for basic functionality. Depending on the hardware
there may be additional functionality, but that's stuff like voice mail and
other telephony features.

If you're 'hot' switching between 9x and XP, there can be state issues. Way
back when I had to power my externals (yes plural) off when hot booting
between Me and XP. Hot booting in this instance referring to doing a
shutdown->restart->select next OS as opposed to full power off-power on. The
former can leave hardware in an invalid state as far as the 'other' OS is
concerned.

What happens if you boot straight into XP from a cold start with the modem
powered on and without firing up 98 first? Does XP see the modem or not?

--
Walter Clayton
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.


"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
news:uFEnZmROFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Okay okay guys,,,,,,,
>
> so, would i be on the right track if i were to go looking for drivers
> for my 'external modem' but to look for only those compatable with
> xp, even though it is the same modem?
> and once found, i should put them/it in a folder and then tell xp to
> go fetch them from said folder,? (i guess i would do this while
> letting xp do a search for drivers while in Device Manager or
> similar)
> seems a little odd to me that the Actual Driver that runs the modem
> cannot be copied across to a different o/s, because its the Driver that
> is important, isnt it? and not the o/s that has it.
> in other words, if win98 has the driver stashed somewhere, cant i
> just go fetch it?
>
> oh, i am Not using ntfs for xp....... hence 98 can see all that xp
> does and visa versa...... does this help or make a difference?
>
> froggy
> "Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
> news:#0QHmHFOFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> No you did not, It was meant to be for the OP, the only thread left was
> your
>> post.
>>
>> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:ejhyyDFOFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > Shaun,
>> >
>> > Did I imply that somewhere in my explanation attempt??
>> >
>> > george
>> >
>> >
>> > "Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
>> > news:%23Chfv1EOFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > > They don't, "Share", when you boot to whichever OS, your modem is
>> > > used
>> by
>> > > that OS and not shared from the point of the OS.
>> > >
>> > > From your point of view, they do share.
>> > >
>> > > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > > news:#GGF32COFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > >>
>> > >> "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
>> > >> news:exd%23lbCOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > >> >
>> > >> >> you cannot share your modem in 98 to be used in xp or vice versa.
>> > >> >> your xp installation should have recognised the hardware setup
> (and
>> > > thus
>> > >> >> your modem device in your system).
>> > >> >> If it has not, then you need to install the driversoftware for
> this
>> > >> > device.
>> > >> >> if you haven't got the driversoftware for it, hopefully you know
>> what
>> > >> >> make
>> > >> >> and model it is and start your quest on the net towards the
>> > > manufacturer
>> > >> >> site for dirversoftware or otherwise to one of the many other
>> > >> > 'independent'
>> > >> >> driver-software sites, like eg. www.driverguide.com
>> > >> >>
>> > >> >> george
>> > >> >
>> > >> > thanks for reply george, but you kinda lost me in your answer.
>> > >> > you said that 98 & xp cannot share the modem, but then you go
>> > >> > on to say that if the correct drivers are installed within xp then
> it
>> > >> > can use the modem..........??????
>> > >> >
>> > >> > here is my setup:::::
>> > >> > i have win98 & xp on dual-boot.
>> > >> > i have an external modem, its being used right now as I am
>> > >> > in win98 at the moment.
>> > >> > win98 must already have the correct drivers, so if its possible
>> > >> > for
>> xp
>> > >> > to use the modem, then could i just go and copy them from wherever
>> > >> > they are kept in 98?
>> > >> >
>> > >> > anyhow, i'm still confused as to whether i can have xp on the
>> internet
>> > > or
>> > >> > not due to your opening answer........ could you clarify it a
>> > >> > bit
>> > >> > please.
>> > >> >
>> > >> > froggy
>> > >> >
>> > >> >
>> > >>
>> > >> Trying to 'un-lose' you.
>> > >>
>> > >> In a dual-boot setup like yours there will always be only 1 os that
> is
>> > >> actually operational.
>> > >> This means, that it is totally and utterly irrelevant what you have
>> > >> installed in say OS-1 when it comes to running OS-2.
>> > >> So, having your modem physically hooked up to machine makes it
> possible
>> > >> to
>> > >> be used in either OS.
>> > >> However, for that to happen you need to install driver software in
> both
>> > > OS-1
>> > >> AND OS-2.
>> > >> So you cannot 'share' the modem installed in win98 to be used in XP,
>> > > because
>> > >> when XP is operational, win98 is NOT and therefore cannot use any
>> > >> software
>> > >> that you might have installed for it in win98.
>> > >> The reverse is true as well. When win98 is operational (ie. running)
> it
>> > >> cannot use anything you have (software-wise) installed in XP.
>> > >> This is all the more true because the 'device-driver-software-model'
>> used
>> > > by
>> > >> XP differs fundamentally from the one used in win98.
>> > >> I.O.W. if you have both win98 and XP with device X physically
>> > >> present
>> in
>> > >> your machine you have to do the following:
>> > >> start win98 and install the win98 version of the device drivers for
>> > >> device
>> > >> X.
>> > >> next
>> > >> start xp and install the xp version of the device drivers for the
> same
>> > >> device X.
>> > >> Now you can use that device X in either OS.
>> > >>
>> > >> hope this clears things up for you.
>> > >>
>> > >> george
>> > >>
>> > >>
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
April 5, 2005 12:44:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Walter Clayton wrote:
>
> If you're 'hot' switching between 9x and XP,

Umm *hot* switching between OSs? How do you do that then?

--
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:44:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Relative term. Reread what I posted, especially the second and third
sentence after the fragment you quoted.. ;-)

--
Walter Clayton
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.


"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:o z3U7ObOFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Walter Clayton wrote:
>>
>> If you're 'hot' switching between 9x and XP,
>
> Umm *hot* switching between OSs? How do you do that then?
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
!