When are the next generation HDTV tuners coming out?

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 4, 2004 3:46:45 PM

There have been rumors of super sensitive HDTV tuners that only need a
very small antenna and have effective multipath rejection. My
experience with 2 recent tuners caused me to get my money refunded:
Problems with current technology (low end) I.M.H.O. (in my humble
opinion) :

1. On 4x3 EDTVs that only have 480p, The image is often either too
small with undistorted aspect ratio), or full size but with a
distorted aspect ratio which bothers me. I want a circle to be a
circle, not an oval. I have problems regardless of the zoom setting
or 4x3 or HDTV letterbox settings on both the tv and set top box. On
some stations, like PBSHD, there is no problem whatsoever.

2. Poor multipath signal rejection and too sensitive antenna pointing.
Using a highly directional HDTV antenna, like the Zenith Silver
Sensor (which I like a lot) , some stations come in fine, but others
require the antenna be pointed in another direction. I don't mind,
but my wife and kids think something is wrong with my setup.

3. Out of synch audio with the video, even with a strong signal.
Perhaps this problem is with the broadcasters, because I see
it with 3 different HDTV tuners. I am talking mainly about
ABC New Now. In Phoenix, it is station 15.3
The audio is behind the video about .5 to 1 second.

I am ready for new technology if it exists yet!
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 9:46:20 AM

bobby smith wrote:
> There have been rumors of super sensitive HDTV tuners that only need a
> very small antenna and have effective multipath rejection. My
> experience with 2 recent tuners caused me to get my money refunded:
> Problems with current technology (low end) I.M.H.O. (in my humble
> opinion) :
>
> 1. On 4x3 EDTVs that only have 480p, The image is often either too
> small with undistorted aspect ratio), or full size but with a
> distorted aspect ratio which bothers me. I want a circle to be a
> circle, not an oval. I have problems regardless of the zoom setting
> or 4x3 or HDTV letterbox settings on both the tv and set top box. On
> some stations, like PBSHD, there is no problem whatsoever.
>
> 2. Poor multipath signal rejection and too sensitive antenna pointing.
> Using a highly directional HDTV antenna, like the Zenith Silver
> Sensor (which I like a lot) , some stations come in fine, but others
> require the antenna be pointed in another direction. I don't mind,
> but my wife and kids think something is wrong with my setup.
>
> 3. Out of synch audio with the video, even with a strong signal.
> Perhaps this problem is with the broadcasters, because I see
> it with 3 different HDTV tuners. I am talking mainly about
> ABC New Now. In Phoenix, it is station 15.3
> The audio is behind the video about .5 to 1 second.
>
> I am ready for new technology if it exists yet!

This quarter or first quarter of next year. LG, Hisense and Toshiba so
far will be using this 5th gen tech.
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 4:32:21 PM

I was told by a high-end installer that Mitsubishi was using the
latest 5th generation technology as well in the 525/725/825 DLPs. He
also said that Mits is the company behind the basic cablecard design
and integration. How you confirm that is beyond me.

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 05:46:20 GMT, Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>bobby smith wrote:
>> There have been rumors of super sensitive HDTV tuners that only need a
>> very small antenna and have effective multipath rejection. My
>> experience with 2 recent tuners caused me to get my money refunded:
>> Problems with current technology (low end) I.M.H.O. (in my humble
>> opinion) :
>>
>> 1. On 4x3 EDTVs that only have 480p, The image is often either too
>> small with undistorted aspect ratio), or full size but with a
>> distorted aspect ratio which bothers me. I want a circle to be a
>> circle, not an oval. I have problems regardless of the zoom setting
>> or 4x3 or HDTV letterbox settings on both the tv and set top box. On
>> some stations, like PBSHD, there is no problem whatsoever.
>>
>> 2. Poor multipath signal rejection and too sensitive antenna pointing.
>> Using a highly directional HDTV antenna, like the Zenith Silver
>> Sensor (which I like a lot) , some stations come in fine, but others
>> require the antenna be pointed in another direction. I don't mind,
>> but my wife and kids think something is wrong with my setup.
>>
>> 3. Out of synch audio with the video, even with a strong signal.
>> Perhaps this problem is with the broadcasters, because I see
>> it with 3 different HDTV tuners. I am talking mainly about
>> ABC New Now. In Phoenix, it is station 15.3
>> The audio is behind the video about .5 to 1 second.
>>
>> I am ready for new technology if it exists yet!
>
>This quarter or first quarter of next year. LG, Hisense and Toshiba so
>far will be using this 5th gen tech.
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 4:43:54 PM

<drgrafix@hotpotato.com> wrote in message
>I was told by a high-end installer that Mitsubishi was using the
> latest 5th generation technology as well in the 525/725/825 DLPs. He
> also said that Mits is the company behind the basic cablecard design
> and integration. How you confirm that is beyond me.

About a month ago I had the same statement from a salesman in
a high-end store, but be backed tracked when I pressed him.

Best case would be a logo (example: DCDi ) on the tv or tuner.

!