Can I have multiple partitions on a RAID 1 array?

ITdad

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I've just set up my first SATA RAID 1 array on a Windows XP Professional machine. Everything is working fine, but I can't figure out how to make multiple partitions on the RAID drive. I want multiple partitions because the purpose of the RAID 1 array is to provide automatic backup for all of the computers in our family. I would like to make a separate partition for each family member's data files.

Is it possible to make multiple partitions on a RAID 1 array? I own Partition Magic 8.0, so I could use either Windows or PM to get the job done.

ITdad

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I need some more information to understand what you said and how it applies in my circumstances.

The RAID array is set at the hardware level. My motherboard is an ASUS A8N5X with the NVIDIA nforce4 chipset. During the set up of the array, I didn't see an option to declare which of the drives is the primary, nor did I see anything that would have allowed me to put partitions on the primary.

Are you familiar with this set up routine and can you give me specifics about how to use it to do what you are suggesting?

I haven't done a RAID 0 or 1 setup in quite some time... but if memory serves, when you set up your partitions when installing Windows... since the mirror drive is an exact copy of your primary drive... it stands to reason that any partitions you create would be re-created on the mirror.

ITdad

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I think I have a different set-up than the one you're describing. I have a primary (system) drive, which is a 60 GB PATA. My RAID 1 consists of two 320 GB SATA drives. So the RAID 1 is not a mirror of my primary drive. Rather it's an independent drive.

In any case, I can't see any means of declaring multiple partitions on my RAID 1, unless, perhaps, I disable the RAID. Repartition one of the drives using Partition Magic and then re-enable and rebuild the RAID. Would something like that work?

Well if you can't create partitions when building the array (which I thought you could do), that would probably be the only option for you. If you can't partition it with PM, then it would definately be the only option for you.

butcher

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Normaly with raid 0 at least you have to format the hdd in windows so you should be able to create the partions then as per normal when formatting.

im not very clued up with raid 1 but does it not just show up 1 hdd in windows any way which would then class it as the primary drive.

aster

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Were you able to setup multiple partitions on a RAID 1 array? I am trying to do the samething now and have not yet been successful. Symantec's website it says Partition Magic 8.0 only supports Raid 0 and 5.

Please let me know if you found a work around.

thanks,
Aster