power supplies

Why do they not include one of the most important specs we need to know with graphics cards power consumption.
I have an agp system with 400 watt supply and dont realy know which cards i can and cant run on it .

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Power consumptions differ from system to system since each PC isn't created equal.

Your main priority when choosing a videocard is complying with the +12 volt rail. Make sure it can supply enough amps in corresponding videocard requirement. If you don't know your +12 volt rail's rating, take your case off and check it. The graph is usualy located on the side of the PSU.

Hope I answered you Q, yet you really should elaborate a bit about the problem.

TonyStark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Power consumptions differ from system to system since each PC isn't created equal.

Your main priority when choosing a videocard is complying with the +12 volt rail. Make sure it can supply enough amps in corresponding videocard requirement. If you don't know your +12 volt rail's rating, take your case off and check it. The graph is usualy located on the side of the PSU.

Hope I answered you Q, yet you really should elaborate a bit about the problem.

I think he's asking why don't graphics card companies specify how much current (Amps) their product uses.

My answer: I don't know, ask ATI and nVidia...

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Well i don't know if i am so sure about this but Nvidia does make it pretty common knowledge as to the amperage requirement for their products . The thing is that you have to look in the Manual :lol:

Also shouldnt this topic be in the powersupply section :roll: