Possible to have PPC see workgroup peer resources?

June 21, 2005 8:33:57 PM

I'm wondering whether (and how) it's possible to allow the PPC to see
computers in my workgroup (not NT domain). I don't see any method of doing
it, however I can ping it (the PPC) from other machines in the network. My
PPC is a Siemens SX66 and I am connecting to the network via built-in
802.11b.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:28:41 PM

If you are connecting through a network, you can use shared resources of the
computers in the network. You can map drives and copy content from and to
them.

The user interface at the File Explorer for this purpose is quite clumsy,
and it doesn't let you browse the network. For this purpose, Resco File
Explorer will be a lot better.

--
Helio Diamant
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

"Bill" <nomail@lmnop.xyz> wrote in message
> I'm wondering whether (and how) it's possible to allow the PPC to see
> computers in my workgroup (not NT domain). I don't see any method of
> doing it, however I can ping it (the PPC) from other machines in the
> network. My PPC is a Siemens SX66 and I am connecting to the network via
> built-in 802.11b.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Bill

June 22, 2005 1:28:42 PM

Thanks, Helio- can you tell me how to connect to a drive on a Workgroup
machine using the PPC File Explorer? Let's say that I want to connect to
the following:

Workgroup: WKGP
Machine name: Server1
Share name: MyFiles

How would I tell the File Explorer on the handheld that I want to connect to
that, and where would I put the user name and password to allow it?

I tried Open | Open Path: //WKGP/Server1/MyFiles, but that failed. Do you
know the recipe?

Many thanks for your help,

Bill

"Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com>
wrote in message news:us9xhOvdFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> If you are connecting through a network, you can use shared resources of
> the computers in the network. You can map drives and copy content from and
> to them.
>
> The user interface at the File Explorer for this purpose is quite clumsy,
> and it doesn't let you browse the network. For this purpose, Resco File
> Explorer will be a lot better.
>
> --
> Helio Diamant
> MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
> www.pocketpcfreak.com
>
> "Bill" <nomail@lmnop.xyz> wrote in message
>> I'm wondering whether (and how) it's possible to allow the PPC to see
>> computers in my workgroup (not NT domain). I don't see any method of
>> doing it, however I can ping it (the PPC) from other machines in the
>> network. My PPC is a Siemens SX66 and I am connecting to the network via
>> built-in 802.11b.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> Bill

June 22, 2005 1:28:43 PM

>> //WKGP/Server1/MyFiles <<

Should be entered as

\\WKGP\Server1\MyFiles

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
(and a fellow dyslexic ;-)
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:28:43 PM

Tip... pick a moment when all computers on the network are running and
connected, then drop to dos and issue the command

NET VIEW > NetNames.txt

then copy the resulting file to your ppc so that you have a copy of the
exact spelling of all of the computer names on the network.

While the PPC file explorer won't browse the computers on a network,
once you connect to a specific computer, it will then show and allow you
to pick the specific share you want.

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
June 22, 2005 6:56:00 PM

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. When in File Explorer I try to "Open"
"\\SERVER1\Shared" I get the error" "Cannot find the file '\\' (or one of
its components)...". I have tried various combinations of upper-lower case,
all without success. When I type it into the Windows Explorer on my PC, it
works regardless of case. Of course, since I maintain my small network
myself, I already knew the exact names of the machines.

When I try to connect to a workstation named "Work", and a share named "BK"
using \\Work\BK, I get an error that the network resource cannot be found.
When I try to connect to my Linux server, running SAMBA, it gives the dialog
box "Network | Connecting to server...." for a very long time, then the
error that a network resource cannot be found

I should have to provide a user name and password, no? Is this a
configuration setting or should I be prompted for that info? Again, I don't
have an NT domain just a Windows workgroup.

Thanks again,

Bill

message news:uolZHoydFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Tip... pick a moment when all computers on the network are running and
> connected, then drop to dos and issue the command
>
> NET VIEW > NetNames.txt
>
> then copy the resulting file to your ppc so that you have a copy of the
> exact spelling of all of the computer names on the network.
>
> While the PPC file explorer won't browse the computers on a network, once
> you connect to a specific computer, it will then show and allow you to
> pick the specific share you want.
>
> hth,
June 22, 2005 10:46:42 PM

>> "Cannot find the file '\\' (or one of its components)..." <<

How (exactly) are you trying to connect to the share... the error
message _should_ be "The network path was not found."

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
June 22, 2005 11:24:36 PM

I click on the "Network Share" button. I then enter the UNC path, e.g.
\\WKS1\BK. I hit OK, and I am now able to connect to the workstation after
being prompted for user name and PWD, but still not to the Samba server.

When I try that- I still get the error: "Cannot find the file '\\' (or one
of its components)...".

Strange, huh....

Thanks again,

Bill