Where should I put my swap file

zetetic2002

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I am building a new game system with a RAID 0 OS drive (2 250gig SATA II) and a separate 500 Gig SATA II storage drive. My question is about virtual memory.

:?: Should I put the swap file on the storage drive to take advantage of separation from the OS drive, or would it be better to place it on the RAID drive to take advantage of the faster throughput.

:?: Also would you put the swap file in it's own partition to help stave off file fragmentation on the partitions?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Z

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I believe you should put the page file in the storage HDD because no matter how fast raid0s are, there will be needle work to do.

Don't worry about page file fragmentation, just set the initial value equal to the max value, that way it won't fragment

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I have an SCA SCSI drive I can send you if you pay for shipping and put your swap on that. Thats what I did.

Seagate Barracuda 16MB 250GB (Storage)
Seagate Cheetah 15k 36GB (Windows Vista Ultimate x64)
Seagate Cheetah 10k 74GB (Two identical partitions. One for each OS's swap file)
Seagate Cheetah 15k 36GB (Windows XP Professional x64)
Seagate Barracuda 16MB 250GB (Storage)

The storage drives are in RAID 0+1

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Do you even need a swap file with that much memory? I think I've heard reports of Windows unnecessarily accessing it and slowing down the system at times.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Do you even need a swap file with that much memory? I think I've heard reports of Windows unnecessarily accessing it and slowing down the system at times.

you always need a swap file

mrmez

Splendid

I tried that too. If u play huge games, do pix/vid editing, and generally giv ur sys a roasting u WILL need a PF.

U can always turn it off and see how u go... but with HDR pic creation/editing i did run out of 2Gb.

Suck it and see.