XP boots faster, but now hangs for 1 min. HELP!

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
XP Pro hangs during startup and when logging off for about 1 min. It doesn't lock up to the point where I must reboot, but it's very annoying and obviously not normal. I've purchase the full version of Ad-Aware and have used it several times. I use Spybot S&D and Registry Mechanic and McAfee regularly. My definitions are all up to date. What is causing this? What can I do? I'm going to post this as a new question also to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Also, sometimes my mouse cursor disappears, too. It usually comes back, but it takes a while. I'm using a Microsoft Optical Mouse? I don't know if this is related to the issue with the OS hanging or not.

Thanks for your help again.

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Really? Unfortunately my mother has sentenced us to a life of suffering by AOL's software, so we get McAfee for free. Is Norton or something else better?

sturm

Splendid
AOL - thats the problem!

Well not always, but I hate AOL aka: A-holes On Line. Not necessarily you though.

Anyway, goto start -> run -> type msconfig hit enter.
goto the startup tab and uncheck everything thats listed and reboot your computer. If the pausing and other problems go away then something in there is causeing it. Recheck 1 or 2 items at a time and reboot. If the problem comes back then you now what program is causing it. If you dont need it, or any other program, to be running at startup then leave it unchecked.

Aol does start unnecessary programs at startup. You dont need the tray icon and such.

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I've done that, but I can try again. The hanging didn't start until after I cleared out all of the temp folders and then ran Ad-Aware and Registry Mechanic.