txt. attachments.

April 2, 2005 1:38:13 PM

How can I open txt. attachments? I tried using Notepad but that didn't
work. Any suggestions?

More about : txt attachments

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:38:14 PM

Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations for TXT files)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uGnx%23F5NFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> How can I open txt. attachments? I tried using Notepad but that
> didn't work. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:35:52 PM

Hi Wes,
Sorry. Didn't work. I hope I did it right.
Claire

> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations for TXT files)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uGnx%23F5NFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
>> How can I open txt. attachments? I tried using Notepad but that
>> didn't work. Any suggestions?

April 2, 2005 3:35:53 PM

If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab 4th
box, uncheck

After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
protection from stupid auto-finger.

"Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
| Hi Wes,
| Sorry. Didn't work. I hope I did it right.
| Claire
|
| "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
| > Windows® XP File Association Fixes
| > Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
| > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
| >
| > TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations
for TXT files)

| > --
| > Hope this helps. Let us know.
| >
| > Wes
| > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
| >
| > In news:uGnx%23F5NFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
| > Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
| >> How can I open txt. attachments? I tried using Notepad
but that
| >> didn't work. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:33:10 PM

Hello Jim,
I don't know what you mean by the 4th box. What does it say?
Claire

> If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab 4th
> box, uncheck
>
> After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
> protection from stupid auto-finger.

> "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> | Hi Wes,
> | Sorry. Didn't work. I hope I did it right.
> | Claire
> |
> | "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> | > Windows® XP File Association Fixes
> | > Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> | > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
> | >
> | > TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations
> for TXT files)
> | >
> | > --
> | > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> | >
> | > Wes
> | > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> | >
> | > In news:uGnx%23F5NFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> | > Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> but that

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:33:11 PM

Claire,

Sorry, I misread your first post.

Have a look at this...

Why can't I open attachments in OE6?
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#oe6attach

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eCGNbP9NFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello Jim,
> I don't know what you mean by the 4th box. What does it say?
> Claire
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab 4th
>> box, uncheck
>>
>> After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
>> protection from stupid auto-finger.
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Wes,
>>> Sorry. Didn't work. I hope I did it right.
>>> Claire

>> for TXT files)

>> but that
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:44:10 PM

Jim

How could you slip up like that.. you know very well that it is the box
after the third.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab 4th
> box, uncheck
>
> After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
> protection from stupid auto-finger.

> "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> | Hi Wes,
> | Sorry. Didn't work. I hope I did it right.
> | Claire
> |
> | "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> | > Windows® XP File Association Fixes
> | > Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> | > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
> | >
> | > TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations
> for TXT files)
> | >
> | > --
> | > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> | >
> | > Wes
> | > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> | >
> | > In news:uGnx%23F5NFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> | > Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> but that

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:41:32 AM

I always thought once they found the right tabbed page and
were directed to the 4th box, they'd read the text that says
something like protect my computer from dangerous
attachments.
Maybe I should have used a screenshot.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
message news:eKAG8V9NFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Jim
|
| How could you slip up like that.. you know very well that
it is the box
| after the third.. :)
|

| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/user
|
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

in message
| > If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab
4th
| > box, uncheck
| >
| > After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
| > protection from stupid auto-finger.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi Wes,
| > | Sorry. Didn't work. I hope I did it right.
| > | Claire
| > |
| > | "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in
message

associations
| > for TXT files)

pecked:
Notepad
| > but that

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:43:57 AM

So far, nothing works. The 4th box was already unchecked. I don't know why
you want me to check the OE6. I am very confused by all these suggestions.

> Jim
>
> How could you slip up like that.. you know very well that it is the box
> after the third.. :)
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab 4th
>> box, uncheck
>>
>> After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
>> protection from stupid auto-finger.
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> | Hi Wes,
>> | Sorry. Didn't work. I hope I did it right.
>> | Claire
>> |
>> | "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> for TXT files)

>> but that

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:43:58 AM

Claire,

Try this...

Open Outlook Express.
On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Security tab, click Do not allow attachments to be saved or
opened that could potentially be a virus.
Click the Apply button at the bottom.
Click the Ok button at the bottom.

When a message has a file attached to it, a paper clip icon is displayed
next to it in the message list.

To view a file attachment
In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header,
and then click the file name.

-or-

At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon
in the message header.

To save a file attachment, on the File menu, point to Save Attachments,
and then click the file name. To save the attachment from the preview
pane, click the paper clip icon, and then select Save Attachments.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o n6rA6%23NFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> So far, nothing works. The 4th box was already unchecked. I don't
> know why you want me to check the OE6. I am very confused by all
> these suggestions.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Jim
>>
>> How could you slip up like that.. you know very well that it is the
>> box after the third.. :)
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>> If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab 4th
>>> box, uncheck
>>>
>>> After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
>>> protection from stupid auto-finger.
>>>

>>> --
>>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>>

>>> "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> for TXT files)

>>> but that
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:46:11 AM

There are two basic reasons why an attachment can't be
opened...
1. Security software is blocking attachments, or
2. You don't have a program that can open (or no file
association to) that file.

Since text (txt) files can be opened by Notepad and WordPad,
both included in Windows, the file association may have been
changed.

wrote in message
| >> If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab
4th
| >> box, uncheck
| >>
| >> After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
| >> protection from stupid auto-finger.
| >>

| >> --
| >> The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| >>

| >> "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
| >> |
message

associations
| >> for TXT files)

pecked:
Notepad
| >> but that

| >> |
| >> |

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:32:09 AM

Sorry. Didn't work. Maybe I am doing it wrong.

news:o xfAee$NFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Claire,
>
> Try this...
>
> Open Outlook Express.
> On the Tools menu, click Options.
> On the Security tab, click Do not allow attachments to be saved or
> opened that could potentially be a virus.
> Click the Apply button at the bottom.
> Click the Ok button at the bottom.
>
> When a message has a file attached to it, a paper clip icon is displayed
> next to it in the message list.
>
> To view a file attachment
> In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header,
> and then click the file name.
>
> -or-
>
> At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon
> in the message header.
>
> To save a file attachment, on the File menu, point to Save Attachments,
> and then click the file name. To save the attachment from the preview
> pane, click the paper clip icon, and then select Save Attachments.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o n6rA6%23NFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
>> So far, nothing works. The 4th box was already unchecked. I don't
>> know why you want me to check the OE6. I am very confused by all
>> these suggestions.
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> How could you slip up like that.. you know very well that it is the
>>> box after the third.. :)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:12:17 PM

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:38:13 -0500, Claire Brucker wrote:

> How can I open txt. attachments? I tried using Notepad but that didn't
> work. Any suggestions?

Claire. You seem to be having trouble with this so let's back up a bit. You
have attachments you can't open. What email program are you using? From the
email program's interface, are you able to save the attachments as separate
..TXT files? What happens when you try to open them with Notepad? If a
message appears during this process, when does it appear and what does it
say?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Make sure that the file system is set to show all file
extensions, it is possible that the files in question are
not text files but something "evil" like "filename.txt.doc"
or "filename.txt.xls"

In Windows Explorer, Tools/Folder Options/file types>>
advanced window to find the box to uncheck.

| On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:38:13 -0500, Claire Brucker wrote:
|
| > How can I open txt. attachments? I tried using Notepad
but that didn't
| > work. Any suggestions?
|
| Claire. You seem to be having trouble with this so let's
back up a bit. You
| have attachments you can't open. What email program are
you using? From the
| email program's interface, are you able to save the
attachments as separate
| .TXT files? What happens when you try to open them with
Notepad? If a
| message appears during this process, when does it appear
and what does it
| say?
|
| --
| Sharon F
| MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 9:36:56 PM

Sharon,
When I go to notepad nothing happens. I don't get any message. I am using
eudora email.
To all of you,
I accidently lost the txt. file I was trying to open so can't try any new
suggestions for it. :-(
Thank you, one and all, for your help even though nothing worked.

> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:38:13 -0500, Claire Brucker wrote:
>
>> How can I open txt. attachments? I tried using Notepad but that didn't
>> work. Any suggestions?
>
> Claire. You seem to be having trouble with this so let's back up a bit.
> You
> have attachments you can't open. What email program are you using? From
> the
> email program's interface, are you able to save the attachments as
> separate
> .TXT files? What happens when you try to open them with Notepad? If a
> message appears during this process, when does it appear and what does it
> say?
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:08:49 PM

You said you can't open TXT attachments, so we assume that they're attached
to mail. He assumed OE, but did say"If using Outlook Express,
Tools/Options/Security tab 4th
box, uncheck"

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o n6rA6%23NFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
> So far, nothing works. The 4th box was already unchecked. I don't know
> why
> you want me to check the OE6. I am very confused by all these suggestions.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Jim
>>
>> How could you slip up like that.. you know very well that it is the box
>> after the third.. :)
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>> If using Outlook Express, Tools/Options/Security tab 4th
>>> box, uncheck
>>>
>>> After opening attachment, recheck the 4th box to retain
>>> protection from stupid auto-finger.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:52:14 AM

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:36:56 -0400, Claire Brucker wrote:

> Sharon,
> When I go to notepad nothing happens. I don't get any message. I am using
> eudora email.
> To all of you,
> I accidently lost the txt. file I was trying to open so can't try any new
> suggestions for it. :-(
> Thank you, one and all, for your help even though nothing worked.

Claire, you're welcome.

If this happens again, check that Notepad is working by opening a text file
that you know is okay. If it works, then there is something wrong with the
downloaded attachment. It is either corrupted or it is a file of a suspect
nature that is masquerading as a .txt file.

As someone else mentioned, setting Folder Options to show known extensions
often uncovers a file's true name as something other than what you
expected.

In other words a file that looks like this : attachment.txt
Could actually by attachment.txt.exe

This is a common tactic used to spread viruses. The user is lulled by the
..txt extension that is showing when there is actually a second and hidden
extension that designates a file containing code of an entirely different
nature than innocent text.

If this was the case with the troublesome text file that you had, it's very
possible that it wasn't accidentally lost. Instead, it may have been
removed or quarantined by your antivirus program.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User