I expected better from lapping but whatever. 56kwarning?

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I OC'ed my E4300 to 3.0Ghz (9x333) but the temps on TAT were about 75-77C at 100% load. Not great for big cooler like this ninja.

So I lapped my heatsink and CPU since both of them had a concave surface. Both HS and CPU looked like this.

I did a 220, 400 then 600 grit finish for a good flat surface.

Good enough at 200grit

Here is a 400 grit. The flash lights it up too much and accentuates every scratch. Makes it look worse than it is.

The 600grit is starting to get nice and shiny but Im not going any farther. Its flat!

I think I came out just a tiny tiny bit convex but that ok. just means really good metal contact directly above the die.

Then to remove the plastic mounting pins from the heatsink and use real hardware to mount it onto the CPU.

tighten just enough till the board bends slightly! Very slightly. Will a backplate keept the board from warping?? Maybe?

Anyways, I dropped about 5C on TAT 100% load. Idle temps went from 45-46C to 42-43C. But then!!! The computer restarted on me for some reason??? I then ran duel prime and errored out in a few minutes so i backed off to 2.7Ghz.

Not a bad Lapping experiment for my first try. Im fairly impatient so I probably could have taken more time and done a better job. Maybe next time.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Variables

Ambient = 25-26c
Chipset = 965P
C2D = E4300
CPU Cooler= Scythe Ninja 1100P
Frequency = 2.7 Ghz
Load = TAT @ 100% 10 minutes
Motherboard = DS3 Rev 3.3
Vcore = 1.34V idle, 1.31V LOAD (from speedfan)

IDLE TEMPS.
SPEEDFAN: TEMP1 = 38C
TEMP2 = 24C
CORE0/1 = 27C

TAT: CORE0/1 = 44C

LOAD TEMPS 10+ minutes TAT 100%.
SPEEDFAN: TEMP1 = 39C
TEMP2 = 54C
CORE0/1 = 56C

TAT: CORE0/1 = 69C

I guess it is actually like a 6-7C drop at load which isnt terrible but i keep hearing about people whos load temps on TAT are like 48-50 and Im wondering what the hell am I doing wrong. Are these people serious, or are they "mistaken" and saying TAT when they mean speedfan or something.

I still thought my temps would be lower witha ninja. Do I trust my temps in TAT?

What kind of voltage can I safely give my CPU for stability. I flaked out at 3.0Ghz and 1.36V. Under load I was drooping to like 1.32V and wondering if that droop to stock like voltages is not allowing me to remain stable at 3.0GHz? But then again, since my temps are not stellar I really dont want to boost the voltage much. Thats why i just backed off to 2.7Ghz for now.

Although when I run dual primes I only get up to 62C and when gaming I only go to 58C in TAT. So Im not really worried about temps I just figured this cooler /lapped would give me better performance.

mrknowitall

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Wow, we have the same setup and did the same thing today!

I too have an e4300, DS3, and Ninja. I lapped my e4300 but not the heatsink. I did the CPU all the way up tp 2500 grit and used some AS5. I also hard mounted the cooler silimar to yous but I didn't use springs. I will let you know my results later tonight for comparison.

Did you notice that the motherboard flexes a LOT if you fasten the cooler down too tight? In fact, I noticed the board was flexed a lot even when I took it out and the cooler was help in place by the stock clips. Maybe I should get a backing plate thingy for it.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I DID notice the flex in the board. I am thinking that using a backplate might allow for more pressure without warping the board. I need clarification on this though.

I did mine last night and spent about 3 hours total from teardown to rebooting. But I was taking my time and having a couple beers. Next one will be faster.

I also preped the HS base by rubbing the slightest film of ceramique into it. Carefully wiped off the excess so that is was basically just enough to discolor the HS base. I then applied a super skinny line of ceramique down the CPU. Definately let me know how the MIRROR finish comes out with AS5. I only did 600grit and ceramique. I have AS5 but heard ceramique will give 1-2C lower temps.

mrknowitall

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Argh. Looks like I shaved off only 3 degrees at load. Strangely even less at idle.

I started with 400 grit and spent more time there getting down to all copper than I did with the next ~7 grits working my way up to 2500. So I don't personally think there was a big gain by polishing it to a mirror finish. Although I doesn't take much longer to shine it up once you've got it level and relatively smooth.

Minerva

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Obviously the guarantee is stuffed when one does this... I find that even just lapping the Cooler is enough, I'm still a bit weary in lapping a cpu ihs as of yet... :oops: Thought I'd do my waterblock as well, but it's just too much work to get all the stuff back together again... :?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Variables

Ambient = 26c
Chipset = 965P
C2D = E4300
CPU Cooler= Scythe Ninja 1100P
Frequency = 2.7 Ghz
Load = TAT @ 100% 10 minutes
Motherboard = DS3 Rev 3.3
Vcore = 1.34V

IDLE:
TEMP2 = 24C
CORE = 27C

TAT = 44C

LOAD:
TEMP2 = 54C
CORE = 56C

TAT = 69C

little_scrapper, your SpeedFan Cores are offset by -15c. Use the "Offsets" section of the Guide to configure corrections.

I guess it is actually like a 6-7C drop at load which isnt terrible but i keep hearing about people whos load temps on TAT are like 48-50 and Im wondering what the hell am I doing wrong. Are these people serious, or are they "mistaken" and saying TAT when they mean speedfan or something.

What you've heard or read are users comparing "apples" to "oranges" by tossing temperatures around without specifying which temps (Tcase or Tjunction), so it's no mystery why so many users are confused about temps.

I still thought my temps would be lower witha ninja. Do I trust my temps in TAT?

Yes

What kind of voltage can I safely give my CPU for stability. I flaked out at 3.0Ghz and 1.36V. Under load I was drooping to like 1.32V and wondering if that droop to stock like voltages is not allowing me to remain stable at 3.0GHz? But then again, since my temps are not stellar I really dont want to boost the voltage much. Thats why i just backed off to 2.7Ghz for now.

You can push your Vcore up to 1.42, but your 26c ambient is limiting your OC ceiling.

Although when I run dual primes I only get up to 62C and when gaming I only go to 58C in TAT. So Im not really worried about temps I just figured this cooler /lapped would give me better performance.

Since your Delta is still outside spec, you may have less than ideal ventilation. When you ran TAT @ 100%, were all fans at 100% ?

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Comp,

just for future referance, my fans are ALWAYS at 100% ...hehe

I have the Aspire X-Cruiser mid-tower, although I think they are called Apevia now? Merger??

Ventilation:
I have a side by side pair of 80mm LED fans sucking in on the lower front. I dremeled out the fan grills(small hole punched type, very restrictive)

I have a top-of-case(blowhole)fan blowing down onto my ram(also removed the insert fan grille). I have a window fan blowing onto my NB keeping it only warm to the touch(flipped the acrylic window over so the fan sits next to the top of my ninja). 120mm rear vent fan that lines up almost perfectly with the back of my ninja. My Sapphire X1950XT is nice in that it uses a paddle wheel type fan that sucks air in at the back of the card and vents it out the rear of the case. And the power supply Seasonic S12 600W has a 120mm fan that runs about 700rpm.

My ventilation should be ...well ok I guess.

It is definately hot in this room. Can get up to 80F in here if the air is off for a long time at mid-day

I feel I have done about as much with the hardware as I can, and am wondering if the sensors that TAT and SF are reading from may be incorrect? About the only other thing I can do here is put a high speed 120mm fan on the ninja. Any Idea if that will make any difference?

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
One more thing, whan I was talking about the lower temps I hear/read about. People are saying the temps are from TAT... I didnt know TAT had a choice of which sensor it read from.

When someone says there TAT 100% load is at 48C and Im Idling at 44-45C I think they are BS'ing us or are running with an open case next to an airconditioner witha floor fan pointed into the case.

JackBNimble

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
I'm a lurker for the most part, but I'm going to come out and say I have to agree with you. I think the e4300 was subject to a lot more hype than it really deserved. Mine runs around what everyone else's are running who post with problems. I read the responses but none really seem to do much good.

Is it possible that the 4300 design changed at some point? I was advised by many to go with this over the 6300, and I'm beginning to wonder why I listened.

Time to save up again for me, and get a nicer proc when the prices drop.

joking

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2005
......I have a top-of-case(blowhole)fan blowing down onto my ram(also removed the insert fan grille)......

Try to turn the top case fan so it exhaust air out instead of blowing back into your case. Remember hot air rising so if you have the top fan blowing down, it prevent the hot air to get out on the top.

It happened to me when I built my brother computer. Turned the fan around make a different of ~7C.

My 2 cents