START UP problem with a SCANDISK message

UrbanSurfer

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Am having a serious START UP problem.

Using Windows 98SE, it will hang up and display this message,

One or more of your drives may have developed bad sectors. Press any key to run SCANDISK.

then, in a few seconds, this message'

There was an error running SCANDISK.EXE or it was cancelled. Run Scandisk for Windows as you may still have errors on your disk(s).

When I hit Enter, it will attempt to Boot Up, but hangs up with this message, please wait while initializing device SymTDI

Nothing happens til I hit Control-Alt-Delete, which sends it to SAFE MODE. From there, I can get the computer working only when I select the Step-by-Step command. If I skip over the Command to initial the SYM TDI, then the computer will Boot up and run ok.

til next time.

I have been able to run SCANDISK completely via SAFE MODE, and no errors were found.

I have run Ad-Adaware / Spybot / Norton Anti-Virus / Grisoft-AVG Free Virus Scan. I have run Norton Disc Doctor. I have done a DeFrag. I have looked in Win 98 Support, but there is no obvious solution.

Should I re-install my original Win 98 CD that came with the computer??? Or will that not fix everything??

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Get scandisk from another comp (or the Internet; get creative here) and put it on a floppy. If you have a 98 bootable, you can use that. I'm fairly sure scandisk will be on it.

Boot up hitting F8 until you get a menu. Choose command prompt and type: a:scandisk c:

If that doesn't help, you'll have to get SpinRite (from grc.com) $80 and run it for hd at level 4. This app will get you back.

Don't forget when running Scandisk from DOS, type scandisk /surface to make it do a surface scan of the hard drive. When you ran it in safe mode, did you remember to select the "Thorough" option? A "Standard" scan won't detect bad sectors... it will only detect corrupt files / tables.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Thanks for the correction Z. I forgot the surface switch. Was half asleep on my way to the sack.

UrbanSurfer, you're hd is showing you signs of failure. SpinRite will recover most of the damage. And, may even buy you a few months. But, face the future with a hd replacement. It can be a "good" used one.

Right after you SpinRite, Slave the replacement to the problematic drive and clone with Ghost, or Acronis True Image.

UrbanSurfer

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
UrbanSurfer, you're hd is showing you signs of failure. SpinRite will recover most of the damage. And, may even buy you a few months. But, face the future with a hd replacement.

Thank you both for your comments.

Yes, the Thorough option was selected. Also opted for the 'Fix Errors Automatically'.

Speed Disk keeps identifying one cluster that is 'bad' but running NDD does not find any errors or surface problems.

I am pretty certain I can get an outside version of SCANDISK on a floppy from my b-i-l.

If you have a 98 bootable...
and type: a:scandisk c:
......from DOS, type scandisk /surface ,

Could I just make certain of the correct command to type to accomplish this task?

Would it be -
a:scandisk/surface c:

from what I remember, with DOS you have to have the spaces and slashes just exactly perfect.

Captain-M

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
In addition to the other posts, if you do not have a successfull shutdown of 98, it will run scandisk automatically (default). You can disable this in the advanced system tools (control panel) to "disable scandisk on bad shutdown".