dizarky

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
so my main hard drive failed, and i had to clone it over to a new hard drive. no biggie. but my secondary hard drive had two partitions on it. now, for some reason, it shows one partition, with all the correct data and everything, but it doesn't show the other one. or rather, under my computer it shows another drive, but it's marked as 0kb and requires a format.

i have partition magic, and it says that my entire second hard drive is "bad". doesn't show the working partition or anything that i can access just fine. so is there anyway to repair my partitions to their former glory, either through partition magic or command prompt? it's annoying haveing half my data there, and the rest gone, after recovering from a hard drive failure that shouldn't have effected this. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

There is this tool to recover lost partitions:

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

If I understand right, you didn't do anything to the secondary drive. Right?
I would run diagnostics from the manufacturer on that drive and a SMART test with Speedfan.
What kind of partition is it? NTFS, FAT32, FAT?

dizarky

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
i have partition recovery software called Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, after switching to that from partition magic, i found out that the partition that was not working was in FAT16, and the other one that did was in NTFS. so using the Acronis software, i changed the type to NTFS. I also noticed that they were both logical partitions, neither was primary, but i don't know if that matters.

so i restart my computer and now the entire drive is shown as "unallocated" FAT16 space. the partition that was working doesn't exist anymore, and the one that didn't work doesn't show up either. so i tried to recover it, using the fast set up, it didn't find anything, and trying the complete recovery gave an error less than a quarter of the way through.

and i havn't tried any of the diagnostic suggestions yet, but i will when i get home. any thoughts on this new problem? thanks.