Hard Drive runs extremely hot????

djstone86

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
For Some reason my Western Digital 160 GB SATA Drive runs EXTREMELY Hot (60 C) I dunno why. This is not an air flow issue as I have another drive right above it (or below it) that runs at 35C. There is also a fan running next to it. This used to happen on my older computer and I figured that when I put It into my new build, It would stop, but It hasn't. This drive is pretty new btw. I was thinking that maybe the SMART data was incorrect, but seeing how this has happened in two different computers I don't think so. An suggestions? How hot do WD's run anyway?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
60c seems off, normal noncooled WD's usually float around 52c if I remember.

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

Go to section 3.4 on page 5 of 13. It has some interesting data on hard drive failure related to temps.

Basically temperature doesn't have nearly the effect on drives that people think. Well I say that, but if you look at the graph lower operating temps are bad (sub 30c esc.).

Just give it a read, it has a ton of info. Should calm your nerves, but you are right I think SMART is off a few maybe not by much though.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
It doesn't have a profound effect, but prolonged high temperatures can have an effect on performance and failure. The clearance between the platters and read armature is incredibly small and if they get hot enough, the platters will warp and strike the armature, causing a failure.

One possible suggestion, regardless of the other drive's temp, is to try and make sure there is a space between the two drives -- they shouldn't be stacked one right on top of the other.

wxt38

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
i would get a HD cooling fan if you ask me they're cheap. my DH tops 50 some degrees before i got the fan now it's like 30 some because 60 is a pretty high number, although the google data saids heat is not the biggest factor but it doesn't mean we have to overlook it.

sailer

Splendid
i would get a HD cooling fan if you ask me they're cheap. my DH tops 50 some degrees before i got the fan now it's like 30 some because 60 is a pretty high number, although the google data saids heat is not the biggest factor but it doesn't mean we have to overlook it.

I second that motion. I've used a fan for the hardrive for years and never had a heat problem. I think adding a couple old passive coolers like madmurph suggests along with a fan would really drop the temps nice.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
My point is it isn't anything to freak over, as if his CPU were idling at 70c and loading at 90c 8O

yall are right of course.

I have 3 hard drives with only 1/2" in between them, if that much, but my TT 120 fan does a nice job of keeping them in the low 40's.

IDK if you have room, but a 5.25 hard drive cooler will really fix teh problem for good. :wink:

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
have 3 hard drives with only 1/2" in between them
1/2" is actually quite a bit. The problem arises when some builders populate the hard drive cage by stacking them one, right on top of the other, just because that's the way the cages and their mounting holes are manufactured, so they assume it's OK. Then you end up with more like 1/8", at best, between drives, which isn't enough to allow for airflow, regardless of the fan used. If anything, that type of arrangement also blocks airflow to the rest of the case's interior.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Yeah I am definitely ball parking that measurement. It could be closer, but my temps are ~41C so I am not concerned. I feel you on the OEM deal though, they can be really stupid sometimes.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
60c is hot for a hot for a hard drive. At that temp the hard drive itself should be physically hot to the touch. So when the sensors are indicating 60c, touch the hard drive and if it's hot then it's hot. My western digital caviar and raptors runs at 35c-40c with a single 120mm fan in front with 72f-80f room temp.

djstone86

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Thanks for the advise. I am now sure the temp readings are incorrect because when I opened my case, It was cooler than my other hard drive. But to be sure I got a hard drive fan to cool it.