question after you put everything together

chrisace89

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
ok i just bought all my parts and will put all of it together tomorrow morning. after i connect all the hardware together then waht do i do? do i just put in the window xp disc? and install is it that easy. or are there other steps involved this is my first built.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Read this:
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

Basically, before you turn anything on.......you check all your cables. Then you check them again. Then you make sure all the cables are connected properly and tightly to mobo. And power cables are connected. And graphics card is tight. Then check your cables again.

Then turn on your PSU. Look for the LED to be on if your mobo has that. Then jump into the abyss and push the ON button ;)

I always get butterflies in my stomach before every first ON in every build. Makes me nervous, all that time, etc.

Then, assuming it turns on, hit DEL or whatever to get into your BIOS. Change the date, etc, do the settings, etc......then go into your PC Health or whatever in BIOS and watch the temps for a little while (10 minutes). Make sure they're good. If everything's fine, then reboot with the operating system disk in, and install Windows.

When Windows is installed, pop in the disk that came with the motherboard to get all the chipset drivers, etc installed. Then install programs......security/firewall, Internet, etc. Then do any program/driver updates and graphics card. Then get temp monitoring programs like CoreTemp, Intel TAT, Speedfan and watch your system temps to make sure they're good.

Then install whatever. Then download some benchmarking program and benchmark your system. Then download Orthos or Prime95 and burn in your CPU and system. Watch temps.

Then take a deep breath and have a drink.

Then go pwn noobs in some FPS game ;)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Very understandable. Take your time, follow the step-by-step. Keep track of where the wires are going so you don't get confused.

Technically speaking, all you gotta do to get the computer running and just into BIOS is:

-install CPU and heatsink (with thermal paste, etc)
-connect little 3-pin heatsink cable to CPU mobo header
-stick of RAM installed
-connect power cables to mobo
-ON/reset switch connected to F-Panel on mobo
-install graphics card (with power cable if necessary)
-connect monitor to mobo
-plug in PSU, monitor, keyboard, mouse
-turn on PSU, push computer ON button

That's it to get a computer turned on for the first time. You don't need a hard drive, optical drive, case fans, lights, etc connected to get into BIOS. This is a very streamlined installation if you want......just to see if it turns on.

I often do this with the mobo on a big piece of cardboard and all the parts (PSU, cables, etc) laying on the kitchen table. Easy to get to everything, lotsa work space, no cramped case, no extra wires. Make sure it turns on and get BIOS set up. Then off, and connect optical and hard drive. Then install OS. Then programs, etc. Then monitor temps, etc. Then turn off and install everything into case. Cable management and BOOM, done :D

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Hey Skyguy.

I would add that I always, even if it's a new board and first install, clear the CMOS before plugging in the power, just to be on the safe side, since you're going to enter BIOS and change all the settings, anyway. Check your manual for the jumper location and settings, making certain to return it to the "save settings" position before plugging in the power.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I often do this with the mobo on a big piece of cardboard and all the parts (PSU, cables, etc) laying on the kitchen table. Easy to get to everything, lotsa work space, no cramped case, no extra wires. Make sure it turns on and get BIOS set up. Then off, and connect optical and hard drive.
Agree, though "BOOM" is probably not the descriptor we'd like to use for the first boot, cuz then you would be "done." :)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
LMAO. Didn't notice that. haha. Good point.......let me rephrase:

"cable management and WOOT!!! Done."

:wink:

And yeah, clear CMOS. I just KNEW I'd miss something, I re-read my reply twice before posting it, paranoid that I'd miss something for the rookie :oops:

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
And yeah, clear CMOS. I just KNEW I'd miss something, I re-read my reply twice before posting it, paranoid that I'd miss something for the rookie
Hey bud, that's why it's a "forum." Ancient chinese proverb: "one person can be smart but three makes a genious." Cheers, MM

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
^^^ great perspective there. Forum indeed. :oops:

Murph, that wins "Wisest Comment of the Day" award. Well done.

I'm just paranoid about giving incorrect/misleading/subjective info. I'm trying to be as objective and factual as possible, I wouldn't want someone to misunderstand me, that's all. Quick comments like these can be easily misinterpreted, and I hate when that happens. :(

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Well, thank you. We all keep an eye on each other -- no need for paranoia. (I had a migraine last week and was making some inane posts. Pre-mature dementia. :wink:)

sailer

Splendid
haha thanks alot this is my first built im so nervous dont want to do anything wrong

By the way, being a tough nervous is probably normal. I just finished did a build this weekend and spent the past two days getting all the details, updates, etc done. To top it off, this was my first venture into a 64 bit OS. Guess how many programs either don't work or don't work quite correctly? Sometimes I didn't know if I did something wrong or if it was the computer's/programs's fault. At least it seems to be working correctly now.

Like Skyguy said, check everything, and then stand back. Then have persistence, cause some program, somewhere is going to be stubborn. Then you have to prove you're smarter then the program and its designers.

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
About to start my first build too.

Couple of questions;
When should I update the BIOS? I had thought to do the update before installing the OS but I am seeing no time line with a BIOS update included. Updating my BIOS is the scarrest part of the hole process-

Apparently since I'm gonna be booting from an optical drive I've got to install the optical driver before I can use the optical drive. I had planed on using a usb stick for the optical driver install. I should be able to write to a disk just like I could write to a flopy? right?

sailer

Splendid
About to start my first build too.

Couple of questions;
When should I update the BIOS? I had thought to do the update before installing the OS but I am seeing no time line with a BIOS update included. Updating my BIOS is the scarrest part of the hole process-

Apparently since I'm gonna be booting from an optical drive I've got to install the optical driver before I can use the optical drive. I had planed on using a usb stick for the optical driver install. I should be able to write to a disk just like I could write to a flopy? right?

To do my build this weekend, I had to buy a new optical drive. I got one from ASUS. It was recognized and used without having to install any driver from a disc. The OS had the necessary driver already in it, and I was installing XP64, which is light on drivers compared to XP.

I wouldn't bother the BIOS until after the computer is up and running, and then only if there was a particular problem that needed fixing. Like the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I wouldn't bother the BIOS until after the computer is up and running, and then only if there was a particular problem that needed fixing. Like the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This is especially true since most current motherboards support either "Live" BIOS update, or an update through the Windows interface, which is much safer than the "old" DOS update method. Get everything up and working first.

And for an interesting thread on what order to install things, have a gander at this thread. Great reading:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=224764&highlight=order+install+drivers

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
thanks

re the bios
OK- not updating the bios right away would make it much simpler.

I had hoped to put my good burner into my new computer. It's a BenQ burner. What mobo did you use?

sailer

Splendid
Like the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Gee, I had always thought the saying went something like "if it ain't broke, modify and customize it anyway." Oh well.

Oh, modifying something is far different than fixing it if it ain't broke. I modify my computer to run faster, my car to run faster (no speeding tickets yet, not been caught), and my boat to go faster.

sailer

Splendid
I had hoped to put my good burner into my new computer. It's a BenQ burner. What mobo did you use?

The computer I just put together has an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe with a X2 4400+ cpu, running a XP64 OS and a Western Digital 250 mb SATA HD. My biggest problem so far has been the browser. Seems it doesn't like 64 bit all that well. The other problem is that the Audgy sound card isn't working right. Its an old card that may have died on its own during the build, so I can't say that the OS is at fault. Good thing the mobo has its own sound system.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Check Windows updates under "Optional Software," I think there's a patch for browsers under 64-bit.

Now that I've got my 5 hunnie, I'm going lights out! Cheers, MM

TRENDING THREADS