proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I am looking to buy a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi 7.1 Elite. But I also don't want to spend $250. Does anyone here have one that they might be willing to sell?

sailer

Splendid
No, but you might try e-bay. Other than that, unless you have a set of really great speakers and a very good ear, I'm not sure you'll notice any difference between the Elite and the Platinum modles. Even the Platinum is beyond the capabilities of most speakers and human ears.

I speak as one who has gone through an Audigy, to a Audigy 2 to a X-FI Platinum and have bought better speakers at each sound card move. I personally don't think the Elite does any better than the Platinum, but that's just my opinion, and my ears.

sailer

Splendid
Hahahaha! No cheap stuff for me. If you are going to buy something, buy it. Get good quality stuff.

I have the same basic belief. My speakers, for example, are a set of 500wt Klipsch 5.1 THX rated speakers that I bought 6 years ago and they work very well. While people have personal preferences and all, I think good quality hardware will last a lot longer and provide more satisfaction than cheap stuff that gets replaced often.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Hahahaha! No cheap stuff for me. If you are going to buy something, buy it. Get good quality stuff.

So what's up with the E6400 then, just a stopgap until a good quality CPU shows up? :twisted:

Is there any difference between X-Fi Extrememusic and X-Fi Elite that I would actually use? I got decent speakers (about $300), my ears can't distinguish between mp3 160 kbps and wav, and I don't produce music or other sound files.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Not really. Not that would be discernable unless you have like THX and tudio quality speakers. The E6400 is until the end of April when I will go QX6700.

sailer

Splendid
Not really. Not that would be discernable unless you have like THX and tudio quality speakers. The E6400 is until the end of April when I will go QX6700.

I think I would add good ears and good general acoustics to that. If a person has poor hearing, the higher quality speakers/soundcard may make no difference. If the room's acoustics are bad, no speaker or soundcard can make a barn sound like an auditorium.