honsbeekgmail

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Hello,

I have 2 HDD's

300Gb Sata (Partitioned 114gb / 140 gb / 140gb)
and 120 GB IDE 150 (Partitioned 60gb / 75gb / 10 gb)

I have windows xp running on one drive , how can I get a new windows xp on the other drive without , changing the main system windows.

I want to use the 300 drive for main windows , the one I use every day, and the other windows as a kind of backup or for other special software.

Can I get two windows on 1 drive ? What software would help me
Or can I simply install another windows, when booting the second drive and then standard boot the first drive's windows as a daily standard?

Hope you can enlighten me

have a good day
Ralph

butcher

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
just take out (unplug change boot order whatever floats your boat) the 300gb and they install windows as pernormal on the other then put the 300gb back in and then set the boot order to boot from the 300gb

might be some software or bios options to do it and which will allow you to change windows installs easily but i cannt help you there. i dont use 2 windows installs so i am not that clued up about it.

ps when you want to use the other windows install change the boot order.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
What you suggest concerning "a kind of backup" is a poor way to go about it. Also, having two XPs is kind of clunky. You would have to do new installations twice to keep them the same.

The BEST way to back up XP is with an imaging app like Acronis True Image or Ghost. The programs are fast both ways - producing the cd's and recovering. You could do a quick image each time you make a major change, and/or once a month.