AGNP-fic: REVENGE OF THE SITH Casting Call

Be warned, there are spoilers in this post.

This is it, the last one. There actually aren't too many new characters
in this one, and all returning characters from the last two have
already been cast, which is fine because this newsgroup is essentially
dead anyway. So, here's an update on who's who, if for whatever reason
anyone wants to give up their role, and if anyone wants a fresh role.

Anyway, here are the roles that are already taken:

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Regulus
Senator Padmé Amidala: Nendil
Anakin Skywalker: RobfromVoid
Palpatine/Darth Sidious: Dreadite
Mace Windu: Jeff K.
Senator Bail Organa: Fenix
Yoda: Yoda
Count Dooku: Jedah
Nute Gunray: Simyn Locke
Governor Tarkin: MechaGodzilla
C-3PO: Marcus Yu
R2-D2: Saber
Chewbacca: Random
Jar Jar Binks: Agent 0007
Captain Typho: Zephyr
Mas Amedda: EnterYourNameHere
Sio Bibble: Sirius
Jar Jar Binks: Agent 0007
R2-D2: Saber
Chewbacca: Random
Owen Lars: Steffan Alun
Beru Lars: Natasha V.
Senator Orn Free Taa: Tech Weaver
Mon Mothma: Bess
Kit Fisto: Ziddar
Clonetroopers: Nick (Foratog)

And so, the following roles are available:

General Grievous- The big bad boy himself, the mechanical menace with a
nasty cough. Leader of the droid armies, he's in the movie for about
forty minutes before he gets offed. This is the juiciest role available
(despite being small), so it won't be taken lightly.

Tion Medon- Tall, pale and weird. He's the guy who says "Hey Obi-Wan!
Grievous is here!" on the weird cave planet. Once he's done welcoming
our hero, he just kind of leaves.

Captain Antilles- Bail Organa's sidekick. His bitch. Captain of the
Tantive IV. That'd be the big white hammerhead ship.

Queen of Alderaan- She's the queen of Alderaan, and she has exactly
one scene. Actually, she only has one shot. Also, she's married to Bail
Organa. Played by Fenix.

Zett Jukassa- Whoever gets this role will have the unfortunate right to
call George Lucas his "daddy." Oh. The character? He's some Jedi
kid who kills some clones. Then he dies.

Tarfful- Big bad Wookiee. Looks tough. Stands around. Barks.

Agen Kolar- Jedi Posse. Down in one second. He's the guy with the long
hair.

Saesee Tiin- Jedi Posse. Down in two seconds. He's the guy with the ram
horns.

Neimoidian Captain- Guy bossed around by General Grievous for a few
minutes. Doesn't do much.

Medical Droid- Delivers the unfortunate news of Padme's death. Thinks
he knows what he's talking about.

Several Jedi- And they all die!

Grievous or Tarfful, preferably. If not them, then some random Jedi who
dies a terrible, terrible death. I'm not picky.

Adrian Tymes wrote:
> JL Solano wrote:
> I think this is the same Wedge Antilles as seen in later eps, and we've
> already cast Seth Antilles in others on this line of fics (even if the
> one behind Seth has long since left the group).

Actually, it's a different guy. They're not even related. There've
already been three Antillesesesses in the series, and none of them
related. It's like Smith.

> > Medical Droid- Delivers the unfortunate news of Padme's death. Thinks
> > he knows what he's talking about.
>
> Hmm. Any chance I could get the medical droids from both sides of that
> montage - the ones messing with Padme and the ones messing with Anakin?
> Especially if one of Anakin's droids is a cyborg of his stepfather: see
> the AGNPfic casting for Ep II. ;)

We shall see.

JL Solano wrote:
> General Grievous- The big bad boy himself, the mechanical menace with a
> nasty cough. Leader of the droid armies, he's in the movie for about
> forty minutes before he gets offed. This is the juiciest role available
> (despite being small), so it won't be taken lightly.

I say give this one to Rendfeld. He wasn't around when the others were
cast, so there is some poetry to his getting this.

Chet Weaver - But the talent contest is tomorrow! wrote:
> Incidently, I still need people to sign up for my Trading Card Battle
> fic. What do I need to do to get you guys in on it? Write a pilot
> episode?

I mentioned in private email why this might not be the most popular of
fics. Among other points, Yu-Gi-Oh's constant emphasis of its stats and
mechanics is not the kind of thing that entices those who want to simply
play in its world, so mirroring that aspect will tend to drive away the
kind of person who would otherwise sign up for something like this.
Consider, for example: when was the last time anyone gave a numeric HP
value for anything in PW!, or in the Pokemon anime?

This is not the only blocking issue, but from how you've written it up,
it seems like meditating on why this alone could explain the lack of
signups (even though, again, there are other reasons) might give you
insight into the other issues as well.

Chet Weaver - But the talent contest is tomorrow! wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to word what I think you're getting at... I
> would pretty much need to ignore stats and have contenders remain
> standing through force of will and personal stamina. To win by
> knock-out rather than loss of points, survive by strength instead of
> deus ex machina "heart of the cards" plot contrivances?

Not necessarily. There are other solutions - for example, have it
revolve around the cards one currently has in play. Run out of cards
(or at least cards played), and one loses. You can also have magnitude
of effect or elemental cycles; e.g., one heavy can defeat multiple
lights, any water defeats any fire (unless the cards say otherwise), and
so forth.

But, yeah, you'll definitely want to do away with plot contrivances.
One possibility: one does not "draw" cards, but instead has their entire
deck in hand from the start, although one is limited in how many cards
can be played per turn. Thus, one with an awesome deck will not
periodically fall to simply being unable to draw the right card, but
might well fall to overconfidence (and the consequent lack of planning
for certain situations, especially if one constantly uses the exact same
deck - which allows others to plan against it) and/or to previously
unknown cards.

Of course, will, stamina, and strength could work too. Your choice.
Just saying you've got more options than you know about (and more than
I've given here). Pondering what will get people to sign up may guide
you to some of them; pondering why Yu-Gi-Oh-like extreme-stat-based play
will just drive people away is a first step along that path.

> I mean, I kinda wanted to surprise everyone
> before revealing that the action will mostly take place in scenarios
> where the players actually turn into their avatars and monsters become
> real and stuff like that, but I suppose I really should've been seeing
> that as a selling point.

People usually want to know what they're signing up for. Maybe not all
the details, but at least the general guidelines. Unexpected and
unpleasant surprises can be forced on heroes trapped in a story, but
IRL, we can leave the game at any time...leaving those who remain, if
any, to deal with the abandoned characters.