Panasonic Tau - resolution quesiton

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 5, 2004 12:31:34 PM

I took the HD plunge and got a 34" Panasonic Tau tube. I noticed that it
only supports 480p/i and 1080i. Should I be concerned that it doesn't
support 720p? It's being used with a DirecTv Samsung HD tuner..

Thanks!
joe
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 8:06:35 PM

"Willie Nelson" <willie@buymyrecords.com> wrote in news:kvw8d.3983$Ae.943
@newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net:

> I took the HD plunge and got a 34" Panasonic Tau tube. I noticed that it
> only supports 480p/i and 1080i. Should I be concerned that it doesn't
> support 720p? It's being used with a DirecTv Samsung HD tuner..

Just set your tuner to output 1080i on all HDTV material. It should
upconvert the 720p stuff, I think. That's what my Star Choice box is doing
(but it's Motorola).

If your tuner has an override for SD material, then experiment. Sometimes
the tuner is better at it and sometimes the TV is better at it.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

October 5, 2004 9:07:37 PM

I believe the Panasonics will not accept 720p. You will get blue screen
only. This seems to only be an issue for XBOX users. This information
apples to rear projection, so I'm thinking it applies to the tubes as well.

Brian

"Willie Nelson" <willie@buymyrecords.com> wrote in message
>I took the HD plunge and got a 34" Panasonic Tau tube. I noticed that it
> only supports 480p/i and 1080i. Should I be concerned that it doesn't
> support 720p? It's being used with a DirecTv Samsung HD tuner..
>
> Thanks!
> joe

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 12:47:54 AM

In the Xbox control panel you can specify which modes your TV supports, just
turn off 720p. There are 3 options 480p, 720p, and 1080i, all individually
controlled.

--Dan

"Brian Lumsden" <b_lumsden@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D hD8d.76734$vO1.424047@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> I believe the Panasonics will not accept 720p. You will get blue screen
> only. This seems to only be an issue for XBOX users. This information
> apples to rear projection, so I'm thinking it applies to the tubes as
well.

> Brian
>

> "Willie Nelson" <willie@buymyrecords.com> wrote in message
> >I took the HD plunge and got a 34" Panasonic Tau tube. I noticed that it
> > only supports 480p/i and 1080i. Should I be concerned that it doesn't
> > support 720p? It's being used with a DirecTv Samsung HD tuner..
> >
> > Thanks!
> > joe

October 6, 2004 2:59:01 AM

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:31:34 -0400, "Willie Nelson"
<willie@buymyrecords.com> wrote:

>I took the HD plunge and got a 34" Panasonic Tau tube. I noticed that it
>only supports 480p/i and 1080i. Should I be concerned that it doesn't
>support 720p? It's being used with a DirecTv Samsung HD tuner..

Nah. Just use 1080i.

Nice TV, by the way.
October 6, 2004 8:41:06 PM

In article <_LD8d.24536$QJ3.7255@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In the Xbox control panel you can specify which modes your TV supports, just
> turn off 720p. There are 3 options 480p, 720p, and 1080i, all individually
> controlled.

Yeah but the few Xbox games which support HDTV are 720p.

Anyways, if you want HDTV games, wait for the next gen, which is
expected to start with the next Xbox which will be released Christmas
2005.
!