Printing listed contents of CD's or drives

How do you print a list of the contents of a drive, say CD or C or
whatever...How can I print what I see in "File Manager". I've searched by
*.*, but don't know how to get this list to print. Anyone know how to
accomplish this? Thanks a lot.

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best if you have MS
Excel.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.

OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type DIR >MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in. This allows filtering and
sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 14:11:06 -0800, "MtnKitty68"
<MtnKitty68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do you print a list of the contents of a drive, say CD or C or
>whatever...How can I print what I see in "File Manager". I've searched by
>*.*, but don't know how to get this list to print. Anyone know how to
>accomplish this? Thanks a lot.

Thank you all so much for responding so quicking and precisely. I am
checking all options and, with exception of the Microsoft one, I think they
others are pretty user-friendly. The Tushar Mehta site was way cool, too.
Thanks for suggesting it.

MtnKitty68 wrote:
> How do you print a list of the contents of a drive, say CD or C or
> whatever...How can I print what I see in "File Manager". I've searched by
> *.*, but don't know how to get this list to print. Anyone know how to
> accomplish this? Thanks a lot.

From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR
command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to
modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text
file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

Alternatively:

HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi,

Open a command prompt (start/run cmd), go to the folder of choice.

Run "dir> file.txt". This will create a text file of the contents of the
folder that you can open in notepad for printing or saving.

If you wish to add the contents of the subdirectories, run "dir
<drive><folder> /s> file.txt".

You may find this useful:

HOW TO: Add "Print Directory" Feature for Folders in Windows XP [Q321379]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

If you head to google.com and search on "free directory printer", you will
also find many other useful tools.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/