CPU/Motherboard change without OS re-install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturm

Splendid
Some people will say it is possible, and it might be, but your best decision is to do a clean install.
Why? The old install doesnt have the correct drivers for the new motherboard. It will save future problems due to any other old unneeded, outdated stuff that you dont need.
Now if you didnt backup or have important stuff on another drive/partition then youll have more work ahead of you.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Not possible! The cpu serial # is one of the criteria co-mingled with your product key to enable activation. And, very importantly as Sturm points out, the OS won't know how to talk to the new mobo.

It's too radical a hardware change for the inherent HAL in your XP now to accept. Graphics, hard drives, and memory are acceptable.

This is the reason for people to put ALL their dynamic data, documents, storefolders, etc on a completely separate hard drive ("D").

That way, you can hardware change 'til the cows come home; reinstall a fresh OS each time; and all your "stuff" is safe on the second hd. A few simple folder pointer changes are all that's necessary to be right back in business.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you folks are missing the point and/or don't understand how applications install and the entire registry concept -- especially when it comes to licensed applications/tools.

It doesn't matter where I load my license encrypted software (as in on another drive where the OS is not installed i.e. D) the license software can and does install special registry entries and/or other hidden license files that could or could not be buried in WindowsSystem dir or some other hidden dir. So putting applications and data on a D drive will not help in anyway in terms of re-install for this licensed encrypted software.

Technically this should be possible since XP does have to start from somewhere when the OS is first installed. I know Windows 2000 Server could deal with CPU/motherboard change so long as the BIOS was capable of locating the hard drives and the controller could operate under a generic Win2K boot device.

Since XP was built on this HAL, I would think it should have some means to revert to a generic driver set (similar to how it boots into Safe Mode). If you guys don't know the answer, that is cool, but please don't tell me it can't be done unless you absolutely no for sure it can't be done and have some references to indicate the technical impossibility under WinXP.

I've changed CPU's before and all WinXP has done is asked me to re-activate with my product key -- which is easy enough to do.

Thanks, Rob.

ixion

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Regardless of what the others have said it does and will work, unless changing to the SMP core from the Single core if you're going dual core in which case re-install.

As stated below you will need to re-activate windows as it does count as a major component change.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
A cpu change by itself is okay.

Not cpu AND mobo, where almost everything is different that compiles the hardware hash.

Controller, mobo brand, graphics, cpu serial#, nic if it's integrated.

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004

AncientEvyl

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I did this last week.... didn't even need to do a repair install. I installed the new drivers, uninstalled unused ones (and re-activated windows of course), and that was it. System has been 100% stable too.... almost went too well.

Efi

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
How To Move WinXp SP2 to Another Motherboard

A full automated prcedure to move winxp from one hardware to another can be found at this link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/18172527/WinMBoardMig.zip

It works ONLY on WINXP sp2;

The soft takes care of things as hal detecting and change; also takes care of adding critical drivers and modify the system registry hive to prepare windows to found all hardware on next boot;

you can sysprep prior to run this util;

then you can deploy with one image for any motherboard

You must run winpe or bart pe on target motherboard with the target disk (with old os on it) installed in the motherboard

rts_fan

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I'm amazed at the responses to this question. It took awhile, but M$ has addressed this problem. Check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125. I've done this with a motherboard change from an Abit NF7-S2G (nforce2) to a MSI Neo2 Platinum (nforce3). Except for having to reload ALL of the patches and upgrades (IE7, Windows media player) released since SP2, everything went off without a hitch.

I had a system blow up in the past when I tried to go from a SOYO KT600 to the Abit board mentioned above WHEN I DID NOT USE M$'S PROCEDURE. I ended up installing in side by side.

M$'s procedure will take a long time, (took me most of a day with 768k DSL) but for me, it worked.

While I'm at it, I have another nforce2 MB that I want to exchange with a nforce3 MB and I'd like to avoid doing the procedure that M$ outlined. Does anyone have experience with this specific scenario? I'm wondering if I can just uninstall the drivers specific to that MB and swap in the new MB, since they are both nvidia chipsets.

redneckonline

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I don't know how but I did this: I typed on the computer to Get New Product Code. It gave me a number about 50 numbers long in groups of 5. I mistyped this number deliberately while on the automated Microsuck phone system. I got transferred to an impatient Indian man who had me read him the numbers. He gave me some new numbers to go in the boxes A B C D E F G. The darn thing logged right onto windows! This is with new motherboard and CPU!

DannyJ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
look dude if ur south bridge chipsets are the same u should be good on OS stability... you should actually be able to start right bk up jus like u normally did... otherwise ur gonna av to do a clean install to actually get the hard drive booting up to an OS.

G

you can if you know what your doing it is possible to do it, it is not the cpu it is only when you insteal windows 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

malaval_ren

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello,

I make a mistake 6 month ago, when I installed windows 7 on my hard drive on the second SATA controller.
My motherboard an Intel DP67BG have sata controller, a SATA 3 and a SATA 2. My hard drive is connected to the sata 2 and I would like to use the SATA3 controller.

How can I just change/update the boot device driver, and move my hard drive from one controller to other one ?

Best Regards,
Renaud

djc_08

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

In other words I would have to pay for a new license copy of windows xp home edition ?
Dan Crowley- crowleydj1@gmail.com

SWCUD

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Try booting into Safe mode (F8) without networking, uninstall all old drivers and if you have the new drivers install All of them without rebooting. After all drivers are installed reboot.

USAFRet

Titan

Why are we glomming on to an 8 year old (or 2 year old) thread?
Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.