Asus P5W DH Deluxe vs. Asus Commando

yulyo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Ok people,
i want to upgrade my and i can't choose between those 2 MBs.
What would you choose?

My system will look something like this:
C2D
1 GB DDR2 Geil800
HDD Seagate 500 Sata2
Video: GT7300GT or GT 7600

Waiting for replies.
Thanks a lot, as usual :oops:

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Out of those two for sure the P5W DH, but is there a reason why it's just those two and not the Gigabyte DS3 or Asus P5B-E or P5N-E SLi?

yulyo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
yes friends, there is a reason: i need at least 3 pci slots
so it's better p5w dh deluxe than commando?

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
The P5W DH is a very mature and stable product, one of the most rock solid motherboards on the market.

The Commando is new, looks very nice, but is not proven yet.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005

As far as I can see every single P965 motherboard from Asus has 3 x PCI slots, or do you have a double slot gfx card - as I can see this would block one of them on some boards.

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Unless you're really gunning for that extra overclock, I'd go for P5W. The Commando has some nice features and has a higher component quality, but it's Asus' 965 version of the Striker - a little bit overkill.

yulyo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006

As far as I can see every single P965 motherboard from Asus has 3 x PCI slots, or do you have a double slot gfx card - as I can see this would block one of them on some boards.

i have buyed a low end video card (PalitDAYTONA GF 7300GT Sonic 256Mb DDR3 PCI Express (128bit) because i am waiting for low end versions of 8800. But even with this VC, one pci will be "busy" because of the cooler.
I have on pci: Creative X-Fi, TV Tuner, Controller PCI --> IDE.
So i need at least 3 ide.
I just ordered Commando, because if i don't like it i will return it in 30 days, and get P5w DH. What i don't like about P5W DH, is the position of ide socket. 8O
I told that man that if it's possible to buy and send it back if i don't like it, than i take Commando first and then, if i'm not happy with it, i'll take p5w dh.
where can i find a sata --> ide controller. is something like this even exist? (i'm from romania)
thank you very much everybody. :oops:

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Why so keen to hold onto IDE? Unless you have masses of data which you can't migrate to a newer SATA drive, I'd take the plunge!

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005

i have buyed a low end video card (PalitDAYTONA GF 7300GT Sonic 256Mb DDR3 PCI Express (128bit) because i am waiting for low end versions of 8800. But even with this VC, one pci will be "busy" because of the cooler.
I have on pci: Creative X-Fi, TV Tuner, Controller PCI --> IDE.
So i need at least 3 ide.
I just ordered Commando, because if i don't like it i will return it in 30 days, and get P5w DH. What i don't like about P5W DH, is the position of ide socket. 8O
I told that man that if it's possible to buy and send it back if i don't like it, than i take Commando first and then, if i'm not happy with it, i'll take p5w dh.
where can i find a sata --> ide controller. is something like this even exist? (i'm from romania)
thank you very much everybody. :oops:

THe P5W DH has 2 ide ports, thus 4 x IDE disks, do you need more than this? As the previous poster said, any new disks you get from now should be SATA really. If you do need more IDE disks, then how about external USB to IDE drive - you must be able to get something like this from a local supplier http://www.etradehouse.com/code/ui/main/product_info.aspx?prdid=E3P&catid=8&heading=3.5” USB 2.0 Aluminium Enclosure Hard drive HDD Caddy with Fan

yulyo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
it's not a problem with the hdds, it's a problem with optical drives.
i didn't knew that dh has 2 ide slots :eek:

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
it's not a problem with the hdds, it's a problem with optical drives.
i didn't knew that dh has 2 ide slots :eek:

Sure does, see the blue one next to the SATA ports and the black one next to the PCI slots

87964.jpg

yulyo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
jamesgoddard friend, i saw it right now. shit. :(
i'll ask today if i can change my mb. they didn't send them yet.
one more question mates:
do you have any ideea if P5w dh deluxe OR Commando support these memories:
1Gb DDR2 PC-6400 800MHz GeIL DDR2 Ultra CL4 (4-4-4-12) Radiator Aluminiu ( Kit 2 x 512MB, SPD Dual Channel )

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!