userguide

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I upgraded my motherboard and CPU about an hour ago. Now, I can't access my hard drive. "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." I want to say that it's a BIOS problem and I can't update the bios to see the HDD. I don't have access to a floppy drive until tomorrow though to get the BIOS from Biostar.

I tried to go into safe mode but it brings me to the error message everytime. Then I thought that I could go into the BIOS and turn on the CD drive to boot first and use the Drivers and Utilitis CD. That didn't work either, maybe the DVD burner isn't being seen.

Anyone have any ideas?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You can't expect to make two major hardware changes and expect your hd to merrily boot up as if nothing has changed.

The XP that is existing on that drive is integrally "married" to the old hardware; chipset drivers, ide controller, cpu type, and cpu serial number, just to name a few.

I'm sorry to inform you that you will have to start over.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Not sure if this will work, but worth a try. Clear the CMOS on the motherboard, then try to start the machine, and immediately try entering the BIOS. If you can, set to boot from CDROM. Then reboot with your Windows XP installation disk in the drive. If you can access the install program, try doing a repair to your Windows installation. You may have hosed yourself and will need to start over as pscowboy points out. Then again, you may get lucky. It's worth a shot before starting over.

userguide

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Well, I was able to format my C:. Now when I start the computer up with the XP cd in it goes straight to Microsoft windows 98 startup menu. >start with cd support> preparing to start your computer, please wait. Then it goes straight to my A: I don't know where to go from here. The XP does load in my laptop so I know that it works.

formated in DOS. Then I'll try to load the setup.exe in dos with drive:i386winnt.exe and get a cdr101 not ready reading drive F

Any ideas frome here?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I was able to format my C:. Now when I start the computer up with the XP cd in it goes straight to Microsoft windows 98 startup menu. >start with cd support> preparing to start your computer, please wait. Then it goes straight to my A:
It sounds like you boot your comp from a floppy disk that contains w98 setup disk not from WinXP CD. If it is so, remove your floppy disk and enter BIOS and change boot order to CD. Restart your comp. When WinXP CD boots, it will ask you to press any key (if you don't your comp is going attempt to boot from your HD), then it'd start WinXP setup.

userguide

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Don't have a floppy in the drive and under the boot order it's CDROM, CDROM, LS120. Boot up floopy seek is enabled but there isn't a floppy in there.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
The problem is you formatted in DOS. Big mistake when preparing for XP.

The right thing to do: Take the boot disk to an "A" prompt - type fdisk - enable large drive support - delete any partitions there.

Now you can start over providing your Rom drive is okay. From your description, I suspect it may have expired. Remove it and try it on another comp to see if it reads.

userguide

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
What do you mean by expired? I have 2 rom drives in here a cdr and a dvdr. It won't load on either. Should I install another one and try again?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I meant died.

Do the fdisk bit. That eliminates the existing partition so it appears to the install program that nothing is there. Then try the XP cd in both. Since "it appears" there is no OS installed, the XP will proceed.

If the cd is not read, you have Rom problems. Crack open the box. One cd reader should be jumpered Master (DO NOT USE CABLE SELECT); the other has to be Slave on the middle connector. Mobo connection should be Secondary IDE channel. Make sure the power plugs are tight.

If this is all okay, and you see them listed in the POST messages, and the XP cd still doesn't fire up - they are both dead or, the cd is no good.

Try another cd reader. It doesn't have to be a writer. Any old thing.