Problem with PIE CACHE

June 22, 2005 3:40:36 PM

I recently upgraded my DELL X30 to the new A06 ROM. I backed up everything
and after the upgrade restored everything, then installed several new
programs. After using the PIE, I noticed that I have three folders that
seem to be for the non-WM2003 version.

Windows/Cookies

Windows/Cookies/index.dat

Windows/History

Windows/History/History.IE5/index.dat

Windows/Temporary Internet Files

Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/index.dat

I also have the correct PIE folders for WM2003.

Windows/Profiles/guest/Cookies

Windows/Profiles/guest/Cookies/index.dat

Windows/Profiles/guest/History

Windows/Profiles/guest/History/History.IE5/index.dat

Windows/Profiles/guest/Temporary Internet Files

Windows/Profiles/guest/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/index.dat

I have attempted to delete the offending folders but get the message that
the index.dat file is in use, even though PIE is not running or active. I
examined the registry and notice that the

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/ShellFolders entry
for

Cache is set to \Windows\Profiles\guest\Temporary Internet Files

Cookies is set to \Windows\Profiles\guest\Cookies

History is set to \Windows\Profiles\guest\History

Both sets of files seem to have been used today. I saw this happen once
before when I installed some software that used PIE and was written for
WM2002 not WM2003. Therefore, I assume something I installed / reinstalled
caused the problem. My solution before was hard reset and reinstall
selectively all programs. Not the option I want this time.

Has anyone also had this problem? Does anyone know what entry in the
registry is the problem, what needs to be altered/removed/added?

More about : problem pie cache

June 22, 2005 9:01:04 PM

Stephen Aiton <stephen_aiton@bmc.com> wrote:
> I recently upgraded my DELL X30 to the new A06 ROM. I backed up
> everything and after the upgrade restored everything,

Shouldn't have done the restore. Check your version numbers against
this list of "Fixes and Enhancements":

1. Added feature that allows the WLAN auto power-off feature to be
enabled and/or disabled in the Power applet.
2. Updated the Funk Odyssey client to version 2.00.00.1681
3. Updated the Bluetooth stack to version 1.5.0.4300
4. Added support for Go Daddy SSL certificate
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:01:05 PM

I do have the latest ROM, I checked the version numbers. I only restored my
application backups, using ACTIVESYNC. I do not believe the upgrade is the
issue it is some application software I installed. I just noticed the extra
folders as I was confirming the upgrade worked.

"René" <Kar98@The-Coalition.US> wrote in message
> Stephen Aiton <stephen_aiton@bmc.com> wrote:
> > I recently upgraded my DELL X30 to the new A06 ROM. I backed up
> > everything and after the upgrade restored everything,
>
> Shouldn't have done the restore. Check your version numbers against
> this list of "Fixes and Enhancements":
>
> 1. Added feature that allows the WLAN auto power-off feature to be
> enabled and/or disabled in the Power applet.
> 2. Updated the Funk Odyssey client to version 2.00.00.1681
> 3. Updated the Bluetooth stack to version 1.5.0.4300
> 4. Added support for Go Daddy SSL certificate

Related resources
June 22, 2005 11:19:18 PM

Stephen Aiton <stephen_aiton@bmc.com> wrote:
> I do have the latest ROM, I checked the version numbers.

Checked the version numbers of the Odyssey Client?
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:19:19 PM

I have
Odyssey Client for Pocket PC Version: 2.00.00.1314

> Stephen Aiton <stephen_aiton@bmc.com> wrote:
> > I do have the latest ROM, I checked the version numbers.
>
> Checked the version numbers of the Odyssey Client?

June 23, 2005 12:21:44 AM

Stephen Aiton <stephen_aiton@bmc.com> wrote:
> Odyssey Client for Pocket PC Version: 2.00.00.1314

Indeed. And if you hadn't restored your old backup, with all the
applications, it would have been 2.00.00.1681
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:21:45 AM

So, although the other changes were made to the ROM, Odyssey is not. I
will reinstall of the ROM without a restore of the applications. Thanks
for that info.

How will this solve my original PIE folder issue??

> Stephen Aiton <stephen_aiton@bmc.com> wrote:
> > Odyssey Client for Pocket PC Version: 2.00.00.1314
>
> Indeed. And if you hadn't restored your old backup, with all the
> applications, it would have been 2.00.00.1681

June 23, 2005 1:25:10 AM

Stephen Aiton <stephen_aiton@bmc.com> wrote:
> So, although the other changes were made to the ROM, Odyssey is
> not.

The Odyssey Client update _was_ written to ROM, and still is there.
However, restoring your backup has overwritten (not really, it's just
hiding) the newer version.

> I will reinstall of the ROM without a restore of the
> applications.

Not necessary. A simple hard reset will do. Then re-install your
applications manually, sync to Outlook to get your PIM data back, and
your problem (as referred to in the subject line) will be solved.

If this is of any consolation, I had to do the same because of a
similar problem. The version numbers (other than a few invisible
improvements to Odyssey and the Bluetooth stack, and acquiring a
network connection much faster) were merely an indicator telling me
just what you did.
!