is it possible to relocate my router?

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
okay, i'm not going to lie, i'm pretty confused and also pretty frustrated. so i'll try to keep this post kinda short, but i have more information as required.

so we have dsl in my house, and one router, its (although irrelevant) a BEC technologies 7402gt or something like that. so anyway, we have it wired in my parents room, and as you can imagine, that is quite frustrating. i finally have the option to reclaim my computer and move it to my room, and here's the problem: wiring.

there is no easy way to run actual ethernet cable from the router, if it was left in its current location. so i decided to actually move the router and save myself the trouble. i figured, it works off just phone line, so it'll work fine. so it didn't work, and i've tried multiple times to rewire the phone jack to the way the one it CURRENTLY is on is wired. and boy is that frustrating with those iddy biddy wires..... anyway, my question is, is it POSSIBLE to rewire my phone jack...? or am i S.O.L.?

thank you first of all just for reading, i'm quite pissed about this whole thing, but if you for any reason need some more specifics feel free to ask.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Yes, DSL modems should be usable in any standard phone line, assuming that you have filters on all the regular phones. However, if your line is split at the junction so that you don't need to use phone filters on every phone (which is a generally better configuration), this means that there's a special connection that's intended to be used by the DSL modem, and all others are intended to be used for regular phones.

It might be a good idea to get your DSL service provider involved to help you figure out why you can't move the modem/router to a different jack.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hey, thanks for responding. yeah, i believe that my mom may have contacted the isp, but i'm convinced that i can do it myself....! (call it male stupidity or whatever, but i WILL MAKE IT WORK! :twisted: ) i'm not too adept with phone-tech and stuff, so i can't really answer for sure about the filters, but i'm assuming that that would be my problem. i'll look into that. but assuming that all the jacks are ready to go, can't i just rewire it to match and be good to go?

the thing is, when my house was built, apparently they wired it wrong or stapled through a wire or something, because we have a short or something... yeah, vague confusing descriptions is what i've been given. so when we got our dsl, the guy had to rewire the jack that it is currently in. that being said, assuming filters are good, it IS logically sound that i could rewire to match and be good to go?