New machine, won't POST or start at all!

datslit

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Ok I put together a new pc made up of the following components:

Asus M2N-E NForce 570 ultra,
Athlon 64 4000+
XFX GeForce 7600 gt
2x Apacer 1 gb DDR2 RAM ( pc2 6400)

The problem is, the machine won't POST.... no system beep, no text on the screen, screen don't turn on. Only thing that does happen, is fans starts, thats it. Bought a new ATX2.0 powersupply. Connected both power plugs, 24pin and 4 pin. Have taken away all harddisks, dvdroms etc. It consists only of the mentioned components. I have tried both memory sticks, both in pairs, in two different dualchannel configuration, and both alone as a single stick, in all slots. I dismantled everything, and put it back together again. Nothing happens. I tried "clear C MOS data". Nada.

Is a component defect? If it is.. what is the most probable cause of this? Mainboard, cpu or craphic card?

Btw, all was brand new.

billsone

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Ok I put together a new pc made up of the following components:

Asus M2N-E NForce 570 ultra,
Athlon 64 4000+
XFX GeForce 7600 gt
2x Apacer 1 gb DDR2 RAM ( pc2 6400)

The problem is, the machine won't POST.... no system beep, no text on the screen, screen don't turn on. Only thing that does happen, is fans starts, thats it. Bought a new ATX2.0 powersupply. Connected both power plugs, 24pin and 4 pin. Have taken away all harddisks, dvdroms etc. It consists only of the mentioned components. I have tried both memory sticks, both in pairs, in two different dualchannel configuration, and both alone as a single stick, in all slots. I dismantled everything, and put it back together again. Nothing happens. I tried "clear C MOS data". Nada.

Is a component defect? If it is.. what is the most probable cause of this? Mainboard, cpu or craphic card?

Btw, all was brand new.

Be sure to attach a working speaker to the MB connector. Remove all RAM and boot the computer. If you do not hear a beep code from the MB signifying there is no RAM installed in the system, you have a bad MB.

datslit

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Yes, I have a working speaker. And I also tried boot without ram, same thing. But I tried that on my old pc, (take outthe ram), and then that acted the same! No post.

So maybe the ram is incompatible perhaps... was the only thing I scimped a lil on...cheap ram. I also tried boot without graphic card, didn't work.

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
i had the same problem on my motherboard except i forgot to mount the brass standoffs so i basically fucked it that way no post at all or anything then got another and it worked fine

Mondoman

Splendid
While there may be some mounting bosses formed from the case, there should be at least some brass standoffs to allow all the MBs screw-mount holes to be screw-mounted. See e.g. this collection from Tiger: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=31741

You can normally tell which MB holes are screw-mount and which (if any) need insulating snap-fit standoffs. The screw-mount holes usually have a ring of metal and/or clear area around the hole, and no traces coming in within the screwhead's area.

datslit

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Well, I bought another identical motherboard, and that solved the problem. Now it posts and I get to the bios.

So, defective mainboard was the cause. Thanks for your help though, and yes, I have those standoffs, although in chrome ;-)