wireless signal/file sharing problems

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I've got a SMC AWBR7441(802.11b) wireless router with a built-in print server. My wireless card is a CREATIX CTX712 which is built in my Medion laptop.

The connection level is usually pretty good for surfing the internet around the house. The lag is usually between 3 to 4ms. The problems I'm having right now are:

1) It takes forever to connect to messenger. MEssenger would connect, but the application would freeze for a few minutes before allowing me to click on my contacts or send any messages.

2) When i'm trying to transfer shared files wirelessly over my network, windows explorer would freeze for no reason. This is really annoying.

I have disabled my zero configuration utility, these problems happens regardless of the signal strength. I spoke to a SMC tech support, but he was rather useless. All he told me was pretty much it's not their router's fault and the problem lies elsewhere.

I do have the option to bring the router back and exchanging it for a linksys or dlink product. Would you guys recommand this??

Thanks

Sparks

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
The fireware I have supports uPnP, and Messenger works perfectly fine after that few minutes. ALso the windows explorer does not freeze all the time. It only happens about 60% of the time.

If i'm streaming videos over the WLAN, it pauses for no reason sometimes.

I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty, now I'm seriously thinking of exchanging this router to a Dlink with has the built in parrell port print-server.

Dax

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
For streaming videos, I'm not sure if this is the cause, but try stopping the Wireless Zero Configuration service.