Do Amplified antennas work?

I have a direct view HDTV and HD reception is pretty good, analog
reception is fair. If I bought an amplified rabbit ear antenna, would
this really improve reception?
6 answers Last reply
More about amplified antennas work

    The amplified rabbit ears might help eliminate any drop-outs on the
    digital stations. Less snow on the analog but it may not help on the
    ghosting. I have heard that Sears and Radio Shack will return you
    money if the antenna don't work.

    I would suggest a 4 bow-tie antenna mounted outside. If you use a 50
    foot or longer RG-6 lead-in a antenna mounted pre-amp should give you
    a great HD picture. Use a 8 bow-tie if your stations are 35 miles or
    more away.

    hdtvfan

    On 5 Oct 2004 17:48:06 -0700, curtgottler@yahoo.com (CGott) wrote:

    >I have a direct view HDTV and HD reception is pretty good, analog
    >reception is fair. If I bought an amplified rabbit ear antenna, would
    >this really improve reception?

    What are you using now?
    Those amplified indoor antenna's performance will vary depending on
    your situation.
    How far are you from your local antenna farm, do you have tall
    structures in-between you and that antenna farm. If you try RS or
    sears with the understanding that you can return it if it doesn't work
    give it a try!!

    --
    rcbridge

    a $20 outdoor ant will work better than any over priced amplified indoor
    ant.

    "Jim" <oljim@islc.net> wrote in message
    >a $20 outdoor ant will work better than any over priced amplified indoor
    >ant.

    not always
    the question is where are the transmitters and what it the issue,
    directionality or overall gain.

    a fabulous high gain yet highly directional outdoor fixed antenna may
    overload on one station but completely miss a transmitter located in its low
    gain node while a cheap pair of rabbit ears/loop with an amp might get all
    channels quite readily without having to rotate it.

    Not always, with antennas I think its hard to make ANY statements that are
    true in 100% of all situations.

    --Dan

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:58:16 -0400, "Jim" <oljim@islc.net> wrote:

    >a $20 outdoor ant will work better than any over priced amplified indoor
    >ant.

    Sorry to differ. In my situation I had a Winegard Sensar II outdoor
    installed by Direct TV that only picked up one channel locally (PBS)
    and intermettently so. I got an indoor amplified RCA ANT1250 at Best
    Buy ( ~ $60) and just gave it a whirl. I am in a basement, 10 miles
    from the transmittor towers. Right out of the box, the RCA picked up
    all local digital stations flawlessly (11 of them). Now my fancy
    Winegard Sensar II serves no purpose anymore. I can use it to attach
    some ornaments on my roof come Christmas, I guess...

HDTV TV HD Home Theatre