Need help choosing a PSU...

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Hi!

I will soon upgrade my pc.. this will be my future configuration:

- Asus Striker Extreme
- Intel C2D E6600 2.4Ghz OC@3.0Ghz
- 4x 1GB PC6400 DDR2 GSkill Dual channel (4Gb total)
- 2x XFX Geforce 8800GTX (in SLI-mode)
- 2x Samsung 160GB SATA 7200rpm
- 2x WD Raptor 74GB 10000rpm
- Samsung 500Gb Sata 7200rpm
- Creative X-Fi Fatality Pro

I now am not sure which PSU I should buy... My first choice was the
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI, 700W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

But ppl tell me that this PSU is not the best when pushing the system.

Then ppl tell me to buy this one:
PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer Quad
http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S75Q

Unfortunately I live in Europe (Holland) and this product is only available in USA.. so that really sucks... so now I'm stuck... I really want a psu with Quad PCI-Express connectors (for my 8800GTX SLI)..

Now I found this one which also is available here in holland:
SilverStone Zeus ST75ZF 750Watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256006

My question to the experts in this forum... which PSU will you recommend? Keep in mind that I really want a PSU with 4x PCI-Express for my 8800GTX SLI..

Thanx for your advice.

Greetz, Wishjuh

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Cant get a PCP&C 750w quad there? Sucks, its an awesome psu. The Silerstone Zeus is also a phenomenal power supply, it'll have no problem running your pc. Hmm... Holland... Can you get Zippy (sometimes called Emacs) power supplies there? Their high end models are really good, and Im pretty sure they sell mainly in Europe and Asia.

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Hi. Thx for the reply. It sometimes really sucks to live here... Like the Mainboard Asus Striker Extreme... it took like 4 months till it was availabe here... I think it also will be that way with the PCP&C 750w quad.

I also searched for Zippy or Emacs but also nothing available :(

But I'm glad that the Silverstone is available.. I hope it's an efficient PSU becoz I have to watch out for high energy-bills :)

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Ahh nice... good news... turns out that the PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer Quad works everywhere in the world since it has PFC... so I'm thinking of ordering it with international Fedex.. yeah it costs a little bit more... but It's worth it :)

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Why are you SLI'ing GTX's?

Simple... Because with 8800GTX in SLI, I will get a performance gain of 30% - 60% with most games.. This is ofcourse at the highest resolutions with all settings at the highest (also AntiAliasing at 16x)..

I've read many reviews which all tell me the same... for lower resolutions and settings it's not needed... but I can tell you that I got 20fps with my current PC when playing Doom 3 at 1600x1200 everything maxed out, AA 16x... And I want that to be more then 20fps :) Also the Nforce 680Sli chipset will cause a nice FPS gain for me!

wow that's off-topic :)

Hawkmielle

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Based on what is available to you, I would definately recommend the Zeus 750W PSU. It has quality power output in the reviews I have seen for it. Very tight numbers even under heavy loads and high temperatures.

Not sure if I can post links to other sites...

It is based on a Etasis design, who make server grade power supplies.

Two minor nitpicks, no modular cables and not fully sleeved (but hey thats appearance and nothing to do with function)

Not trying to disuade you from OCZ either. My main system has a 520W Powerstream that has been rock solid. Just that the Zeus (Etasis) is a better design then the OCZ GameXstream (FSP Epsilon).

If the PCP&C is available it would also be a very good choice, although typically very expensive.

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Based on what is available to you, I would definately recommend the Zeus 750W PSU. It has quality power output in the reviews I have seen for it. Very tight numbers even under heavy loads and high temperatures.

Not sure if I can post links to other sites...

It is based on a Etasis design, who make server grade power supplies.

Two minor nitpicks, no modular cables and not fully sleeved (but hey thats appearance and nothing to do with function)

Not trying to disuade you from OCZ either. My main system has a 520W Powerstream that has been rock solid. Just that the Zeus (Etasis) is a better design then the OCZ GameXstream (FSP Epsilon).

If the PCP&C is available it would also be a very good choice, although typically very expensive.

Thx for the advice... The money isn't the problem... and I have the irritating habit of always wanting the best of the best hardware :) so I think I will order the PCP&C... I can order it from their website by using FedEx-europe... so no problem there...