7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Hey guys, I deleted some base files on my C: the files were not in a folder just right on my root C:.

well i hit restart and now when my computer wont boot!

it says... "NTLDR is MISSING.. press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart."

well i went to this website... WEBSITE

if this does not work how else can I save my pictures/music?

sturm

Splendid
take the hard drive and install in another computer as a slave drive. Copy all important info to the other computer.
When done copying reinstall hard drive in origional computer and reinstall windows. copy your info back to your computer either using a network or cd/dvd disks

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
that would work if it was not a LAPTOP Hard Drive.. not a desktop. any other suggestions? Maybe running a OS CD .. like LINUX KNOPIX?

what what?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Assuming you have an XP cd, pop it in and proceed as if you were doing an install. You will reach a page where there's an option to "Repair". Press R and at the cursor type fixboot.

This will replace the loader files on the "C" root:

Boot.ini - NTDETECT.com - ntldr

Never touch these files.

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
as I said earlier, I dont have a winxp pro cd... only a restore cd from toshiba... so if i put it in there, it will not fix only format and re-install to factory settings.

sturm

Splendid
do you know someone who has an xp pro cd? Use theres to get your computer going so you can get the files off then do the restore with the toshiba cd - or just leave it if its working fine.

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I will ask some of my friends.

i most likely download an illegal copy of WinXP Pro Corp and get it that way.. ugh this stinks

riser

Illustrious
GAAAH!

I hope you didn't do anything yet.

Whenever you get this error it's because the system files were fragmented. If you removed your HD and put it into another computer and defrag it, you'll be good as gold.

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
no i have not done anything yet. I dont have another laptop to put it in. So you are telling me that if i put in a WINXP cd and "R"ecover the HD it might not work.

what to do!?!?!

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Another option is buy an adapter for your laptop HD to work with a standard IDE cable. This should only cost about $10 or so and you'll have a way to copy your data to a desktop HD...