Sign in with
Your question

Alert Sounds have vanished

Last response: in Windows XP
January 26, 2006 7:17:24 PM

Alert Sounds have vanished
Ok I been working on this for a week I cannot get it.
I am running winXP and MSN Messenger 7.00816 ... I have recently lost the sounds that go along with nudge, type, new alert, contact online etc. It is driving me insane. When I go to sounds I can see them there and even test and they are totally audible....however they will not work if a contact is trying to send me messages PLEASE PLEASE help. I need them desperately
TIA
Jan

More about : alert sounds vanished

January 26, 2006 8:34:11 PM

Ok, I know this sounds retarded, but it's the only thing that pops into my mind....is your status set to "busy" ? You dont get the audio when your in that mode...no interuptions kinda thing

dunno, only thing i can think of
January 27, 2006 6:34:22 PM

Try upgrading to 7.5.
Related resources
January 28, 2006 11:42:42 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES!!
I am forwarding my correspondence I have had witht the MSN techs so you may see I have tried everything read and see if you can help me Thank You so Much I'm still....desperate ugh I have highlighted my replies to thiem in red

Hello Jan, Thank you for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. My name is Francisco and I am pleased to assist you with this issue. I understand and I regret any inconvenience this has caused. According to your email, the issue is that you are not able receiving the sounds on MSN Messenger.
The following conditions may apply: - The sound settings are disabled. No - Your MSN Messenger online status is "Busy," "On the Phone," or "Appear Off-line." NO - The sound file that is associated with the event is corrupted. Plays perfect on testing Please follow these steps in the order they appear to help resolve this issue: 1. Verify that sound settings are enabled: - MSN Messenger 7.0 and later versions of MSN Messenger: a. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options," and then click "Alerts and Sounds". YES b. Make sure that the "Play a sound when contacts sign-in or send a message" check box is selected. YES 2. Verify the MSN Messenger online status settings. MSN Messenger does not play sounds when the MSN Messenger sign-in status is "Busy," ;"On the Phone," or "Appear Off-line." - Sign in to MSN Messenger, click the down-arrow that is located next to your display name, and then click a sign-in status other than "Busy," ;"On the Phone," or "Appear Off-line." Always says online or away 3. Verify that the sound files that are associated with MSN Messenger events can be played independently of MSN Messenger: a. Open the "Sounds and Audio Devices" properties dialog box: - MSN Messenger 7.0 and later versions of MSN Messenger: i. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options," and then click "Alerts and Sounds". ii. In the "Sounds" section, click "Sounds" to open the "Sounds properties" dialog box. b. In the "Program events" box, locate the "MSN Messenger" events. c. Click each event, and then click the "Play" button (right arrow) for each sound. - Verify that the sound that is associated with the event plays. YES no problem - Make sure that the sound is not set to "NONE." they are all associated to a custom sound file - If a custom sound file does not play, assign another sound file. - If the file was not a custom sound file, reinstall MSN Messenger to restore the sound file. To install MSN Messenger, visit the following Web site: http://messenger.msn.com/download.

Jan, I am hopeful that the issue is now resolved. However, if the issue persists it would be best to collect some additional information to better assist us in diagnosing the problem further. Please answer the following questions to the best of your ability: - Are you experiencing this issue if you sign in on another computer with the same account? Not possible to do this - Are you experiencing this issue if you sign in on the same computer with another account? Just tried this tonight I reinstalled windows ... then I deleted msn and reinstalled 7.5 I set up a new profile and bingo it works but i need this profile to work . What the heck is different between 2 profiles i don't get it at all - Did you recently install or remove any program on your computer? NOt that i recall... Any futher input is appreciated.

MSN Messenger:I need something fixed:Instant Messages:Receiving an IMFri, 27 Jan 2006 09:23:03 -0800
Hello Jan, Thank you for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. My name is Rod, and I will be assisting you with this issue. First, I would like to apologize for the delay in response to you. We have received an unusually high number of e-mails in the past few days, making it difficult to respond as quickly as we would like. According to your email, the issue is that you are not able to receive any alerts sounds on MSN Messenger. Please try the following steps in the order they appear to help resolve this issue. Jan I am sending you the steps to perform a clean MSN Messenger installation in order to remove any corrupted files 1. Remove MSN Messenger from your computer a. In the notification area, right-click the MSN Messenger icon, and then click "Sign Out." b. Click "Start," click "Run," type the following command, "control appwiz.cpl" and then click "OK:" c. In the list of currently installed programs, select MSN Messenger 7.0, and then click "Remove." d. If you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the program, click "Yes." 2. Remove the temporary files and folders from your computer: a. Click "Start," click "Run," type "cleanmgr", and then click "OK." b. If you are prompted to, click "C:" in the "Select the drive you want to clean up" list, and then click "OK." Note: If you partitioned your hard disk, the CleanMgr utility prompts you to select a drive. The Disk Cleanup utility displays how much disk space can be released. This process can take a several minutes. c. On the "Disk Cleanup" tab, make sure that the following options are selected, and then clear any other options that are selected: - Downloaded program files - Temporary Internet files - Temporary files - Temporary Offline files - Offline files d. Click OK two times. e. Delete the MSN Messenger registry key. Important: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986 Warning: ;If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. b. Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click SOFTWARE, and then click Microsoft to expand these registry key folders. c. Click the MSN Messenger folder. Make sure that the MSN Messenger folder is selected. Note: You can expand the MSN Messenger folder without selecting it. When the MSN Messenger folder is selected, it is highlighted. d. On the Edit menu, click Delete. e. Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove this key and all its subkeys. f. Click HKEY_CURRENT_USER, click SOFTWARE, and then click Microsoft to expand these registry key folders. g. Click the MSN Messenger folder. Make sure that the MSN Messenger folder is selected h. On the Edit menu, click Delete. i. Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove this key and all its subkeys. j. Restart your computer. 3. Download MSN Messenger manually: a. Start Internet Explorer. b. Visit http://messenger.msn.com/download. c. In the "Install Later" section, click "Download and Install Later." d. In the "Security Warning" dialog box, click "Save," and then select the folder where you want to save the MSN Messenger Setup file. 4. Install MSN Messenger: a. Locate the MSN Messenger Setup file that you saved in step 3d. Use the following list of Setup package names for each operating system to help locate the file: - MSN Messenger 7.5 uses Install_MSN_Messenger.exe with Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 b. Double-click the MSN Messenger Setup file for your operating system. c. To install MSN Messenger, follow the steps in the wizard. Thanks again for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. Every customer is valuable to us, and we regret you have experienced difficulties. Best Regards, Rod, MSN Messenger Technical Support Team For questions or self-help with MSN Messenger, at anytime you may also visit: http://messenger.msn.com/help or http://support.msn.com
Hi Rod,
I followed your directions perfectly and all went well with the procedure ...however still no sounds ... It kinda looks to me like I must have another program conflicting with this as I have done everything I can think of and it just won't work in this profile....man oh man this is making me crazy...i love the sounds and I need the sounds...why does it work fine in one profile and not the other ;I hope you have some other ideas I'm desperate, I have an urgent family emergency going on right now and i depend on the alert sounds to get my attention. I know I could simply use the other winxp profile however all my important files are in this one...dangit Please advise PLease note I have also done a re-install of xp .... Also I have a spyware adware and virus program on my pc so that should be ok.
Thank You ... Jan
February 3, 2006 7:55:50 PM

Ok it was not a Messenger problem eek It looks like when I installed some stinking Weather Program it messed up a line in the registry Any way its a fix and Im happy

I seem to have got it after 2 weeks of insanity ... I tried this off a site I found ... I was abit reluctant and tried all other alternatives first. It was in this section of the registry i found the problem {HKEY_USERSS-1-5-21} Thank you for your help
Jan
Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers for winxp ...
System Sounds are missing:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key: HKEY_USERS. If it doesn't have a Data entry in the right pane that reads: (value not set), double click (Default) and delete it. If it does, check your HKEY_USERSS-1-5-21 keys for the same.
February 3, 2006 8:21:26 PM

Grats :) 

That's awesome that you found that...I was totally out of ideas, thought of a compatability issue but shook it off...shouldn't have I guess :p 
!