stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Hi there,

I installed a new Maxtor 120GB HD about six months ago, and roughly a week ago i left the computer defragging using PerfectDisk 7, and when i got back there was an error message (i think it was saying it couldn't move a file) and it had stuck at 67%. I can't remember the file name and i didn't think to make a note of it at the time.

I closed perfect disk thinking it was just a bug, at which point Windows XP started acting slightly funny: it would work at full speed for roughly 8 seconds at a time, and then hang for about 2 seconds. No mouse, no sound, no response, and then back to operating at full speed.

When i rebooted i got a BSOD (i think it was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and couldn't access the hard drive. I swapped it for another 200GB Western Digital, reinstalled windows and tried to access the Maxtor drive to be told:

(Drive): is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable

I've since realised that i dont have a backup of my inetpub folder, and several websites within it. I'm desperatly trying to get these back and have tried "Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS" and "Handy Recovery 2.0" without much success.[/list][/b]

The trial version of Handy Recovery found a partition, and most of the information that was on it, but would only allow one file recovery at a time. So i went ahead and bought a copy and ran it again. Now it only finds two, 1.4MB partitions, and not the 70GB partition found with the trial version.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated.

stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Hi, thanks for replying.

As far as i'm aware (at least with PerfectDisk and Windows Defragmenter) you can't defrag a corrupt drive - the drive simply isn't listed.

And unfortunatly the ASR requires a backup - which i dont have. Thanks for the help, I'm currently using "Recover My Files" after reading another post, and it claims to have found over 600,000 files. Unfortunatly all of the text files it's recovered are garbage, and i'm not sure if a *.asp file counts as a text file.