Dual Channel Recognized as Single

georgegmf

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Hey guys, recently I was stepping up my overclock (E6400 set at 334) by 3MHz at a time and suddenly after I hit 340 the computer wouldn't boot. So I reset the BIOS (for some reason it remained at the updated BIOS version 0806) and it booted. I decided to boot with MemTest86 just to make sure and I got a bunch of errors, very odd seeing that I recieved none before. So, wanting to know if a stick of RAM was at fault I plucked out one stick at a time and tested them. But with only one stick in, the comp didn't boot.

I then put both sticks in and booted with MemTest86 and recieved no errors, very odd. When I went into the BIOS to check on some specs and make sure everything was at default, I saw that even with two sticks in slots 1 and 3, it was only reading 1GB of RAM in single channel (2x1GB sticks of PC6400 OCZ Gold).

No matter what I've tried my comp isn't seeing both sticks, each of which seem to be fine. Unfortunatly the ASUS website isn't working properly and I cannot download BIOS version 1102 to update, but that shouldn't matter. I have been using dual channel with this BIOS version just fine. I'm unsure what has happened and think it is some setting that isn't on but who knows. Any suggestions are very welcome

Thanks for reading

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Hey guys, recently I was stepping up my overclock (E6400 set at 334) by 3MHz at a time and suddenly after I hit 340 the computer wouldn't boot. So I reset the BIOS (for some reason it remained at the updated BIOS version 0806) and it booted. I decided to boot with MemTest86 just to make sure and I got a bunch of errors, very odd seeing that I recieved none before. So, wanting to know if a stick of RAM was at fault I plucked out one stick at a time and tested them. But with only one stick in, the comp didn't boot.

I then put both sticks in and booted with MemTest86 and recieved no errors, very odd. When I went into the BIOS to check on some specs and make sure everything was at default, I saw that even with two sticks in slots 1 and 3, it was only reading 1GB of RAM in single channel (2x1GB sticks of PC6400 OCZ Gold).

No matter what I've tried my comp isn't seeing both sticks, each of which seem to be fine. Unfortunatly the ASUS website isn't working properly and I cannot download BIOS version 1102 to update, but that shouldn't matter. I have been using dual channel with this BIOS version just fine. I'm unsure what has happened and think it is some setting that isn't on but who knows. Any suggestions are very welcome

Thanks for reading

you did install them in the correct posts?
example, in my A8N-E my system will NEVER BOoT if I set the rams in the first 2 ram slots...
it will run dual channel mode as normal when inserting in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.

georgegmf

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
The RAM model from OCZ is ocz2g8002gk. If you google that you get a direct link to the OCZ's site with its specifications.

I have been talking with an OCZ tech guy and after running a series of troubleshoots, the guy told me it has to be a back stick of RAM. But what is odd is that I am having to test the RAM in slot 3, not 1. One stick allows me to boot and everything works ok, while the other stick in slot 3 doesn't boot at all. I am getting an RMA and going to send them back unless you guys have any other suggestions. Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS