Corrupt Windows File

Yuma2007

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I hope this is an easy question for someone out there! I have an old Cannon laptop that has a corrupt Windows 95 file so it won't boot up. It also doesn't recognize its CD drive, so I can't get the computer to boot from the D drive. I don't know how to get to the BIOS on this old guy to try to get it to see its CD drive. I can get to a DOS prompt, but my DOS memory is getting pretty dim. Any suggestions?

Make a bootable floppy disk and try to boot from the floppy. Then you can install your operating system hopefully. Your CD drive will show up as letter D: or something similar.
As far as the Bios is concerned, try ALT+F1, delete, F2, F12 to get in. Some old CD-Roms were not bootable.
You can download boot disks here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

as said above just head on over to bootdisk.com and get the 98 SE disk and it will give an option start computer with CD-Rom(or to just install windows for that matter) support and will load that OAK tech driver that runs on 99% of drives. I suggest the 98 disk as it is better

For future reference you can copy all the d:\win95 files to the c: in a folder @ c:\win95

that way the setup can run from the hard drive

how to do this?

Boot off the FDD
select start computer with CD-Rom suppot
d: - If you have more than one partition or drive this will be e,f ect
cd win95
format c: /q /s - ONLY IF U ARE STARTING FROM SCRACH..Do NOT do this if you have files to recover, just go to the next step
c:
md win95
d: - You should still be in the d:\win95 folder
copy *.* c:\win95
c:
cd win95
setup

follow instructions to reinstall