Remote Desktop won't connect

Boozhound

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have two laptops on a SOHO LAN: one is a Toshiba M200 tablet PC, the other an Acer Travelmate C300MXi tablet PC.

The Acer is able to use RDC to control the Toshiba, but the Toshiba cannot access the Acer when I try it the other way round. I enter the the IP address and password then press connect. The log in window comes up but immediately disappears and returns to the Toshiba desktop. I have checked the ports and they are listening. The logs seem to indicate that the login has been successful, but clearly it has not been. There are no error messages to help me.

I have checked the Windows firewall settings and AV software and even tried with them both switched off, but still no success.

I have tried the various things on the troubleshhoting page of theillustratednetwork, but that hasn't helped either.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Simon

dorion

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
Sounds like the Acer is using Windows XP Home. Only Profesional can be connect or be connected to, Home only allows connection to a Professional.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
You can always give VNC a try.

It also lets you connect before anyone has logged in and you can log out of one account and log back in to another.

Great for when I have to restart a PC and reconnect.