Overclocking help: Voltage question

Lyon

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I've looked for answers to this and I couldn't find any, nor could I find anyone asking to same question so I assume it's probably some nooby mistake on my behalf, so sorry if it is.

I'm trying to OC for the first time, im running:

Gigabyte DS4 (F7)
C2D E6300 (Zalman Aero flower)
2GB Geil PC 6400
ATI X1900XT

1) The C2D guide here is amazing, fair play to you guys. I just don't understand the voltages, it says things like raise MCH voltage to 1.55v, FSB to 1.40v etc. The only values I can find are +0.05 or something like. So I assume I have to raise the voltages untill I reach MCH 1.55v for example, but what are the default voltages? I can't find the values in the DS4 manual or anywhere else. I am understanding this correctly, right?

2) While im here, I can't find "Spread Spectrum" to disable it, does it exist on DS4?

3) Also, I don't understand when to change RAM timings, should I just stick them on 5-5-5-15? (Originally 4-4-4-12).

Thanks in advance, just think of all the good Karma in answering this :D

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Disable CIA2 and that should open up a range of things you can change.

CPU core voltage to 1.40
MCH chipset voltage to 1.55

Maybe you haven't got Spread Spectrum on your mobo.

I left my memory on SPD. It should be changed from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 but then I got into changing Memory Voltage, and it wouldn't boot, so I backed down :?

Take it slowly. Don't change anything unless you understand it.

Good Luck :D

Lyon

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks for the reply, I just went back to see if I had disabled CIA2 and I had, ive done all the "clean up bios" bits (apart from spread spectrum).

I still have the same problem, I can change voltage values, but I can't change it to the specified values. Well I can I suppose, but it doesn't let me just chose 1.40v for example, it only gives me the option to raise by say, +0.05v.

So the only options I have for say, MCH voltage is; +0.05v to 0.75v

That would be fine, but I don't what stock is, I can't find the number anywhere.

daverimer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks for the reply, I just went back to see if I had disabled CIA2 and I had, ive done all the "clean up bios" bits (apart from spread spectrum).

I still have the same problem, I can change voltage values, but I can't change it to the specified values. Well I can I suppose, but it doesn't let me just chose 1.40v for example, it only gives me the option to raise by say, +0.05v.

So the only options I have for say, MCH voltage is; +0.05v to 0.75v

That would be fine, but I don't what stock is, I can't find the number anywhere.

I am having the exact same problem on my DS3 board. I cannot find the stock voltage values anywhere. Someone please help us!

Lyon

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
daverimer, I've got it! I found it on another forum, I dunno if links are allowed so here's what you do:

1. Make sure that you have the latest chipset drivers and flash the board to the most recent bios version
2. On the main bios screen press Ctrl+F1 to open the advanced options within the menus
3. In the Advanced Bios Features Menu, Disable all of the following: CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2), CPU EIST Function
4. In the PC Health Status menu, set the FAN Speed Control Method to "Legacy" & FAN Speed Control Mode to "PWM" to maintain highest speed
5. Go into the MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) menu at the bottom of the page, set the System voltage control to "Manual"
6. These boards have a default VDIMM of 1.8v, set the VDIMM to co-ordinate with your ram. The Geil I have is specced as 2.1v so I have mine set to +0.3v
7. Set the MCH Voltage to +0.1v
8. Set the FSB Voltage to +0.1v
9. Set the VCORE to 1.45v - Please be aware that this will increase temps!
10. Set the CPU Host Clock Control to "Enable"
11. Set the System Memory Multiplier to "2x"
12. You're set to go, just increase the System bus Frequency to Overclock

HOWEVER, I used the VCORE settings found on this forum. So for me 1.370v.

I'm currently on 2331Mhz, have fun!

daverimer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Cool Lyon, thanks for the info! Ya hopefully I will be able to keep my vcore below 1.45 to get 3200 outa my E6400. Good luck! :lol: