What would you expect if you could install Windows to RAM?

dawgma

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
More specifically, what kind of performance benefits would you expect by installing Windows to RAM, such as with the Gigabyte i-RAM? For those who don't know what the i-RAM is, read the following, otherwise you can skip below.

---------------------------------------------
The i-RAM (now known as the RAMDISK), is a storage device that connects through SATA 150, powered by PCI, and supports 4GB of RAM. Your operating system recognizes the RAM as a regular disk that you can install programs to or just store files. It remains powered even if your computer is shut down, and has a 10 hour battery life in case the power supply fails. You may even install your operating system on it to take advantage of the nearly instantaneous access time the RAM provides.
---------------------------------------------

So... if you could install a trimmed down version of Windows (~1GB), and leave space for a few programs as well... what would it be like?

I've seen what the i-RAM can do for restart times (less than 10 seconds)... but what interests me is the possibility of near-instantaneous load times for programs and a super-fast page file among other things.

Would a RAM installation also:

- Reduce application hang-up times?

- Produce instantaneous searching for files? (this would require that file are indexed on the windows drive. Or is the file index actually stored on the data drives? If the index is stored on the data disks, is there a way to move the index to the i-RAM?)

- Produce instantaneous file browsing and thumbnail loading? (Would thumbnails and folder information also stored on the windows drive?)

- Allow for fast application switching when many programs are running?

What other benefits would you predict to see?

Mondoman

Splendid
If it's powered by PCI, how does it stay powered with the computer off (or does it work only with the "soft" off and not if you shut the power supply off with e.g. a rocker switch)?

dawgma

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
If it's powered by PCI, how does it stay powered with the computer off (or does it work only with the "soft" off and not if you shut the power supply off with e.g. a rocker switch)?

As long as your power supply is on, the i-RAM will be powered, even after you shut down the computer. I don't know any specifics about switches.