seeking a good raid controller preferrably pci express

terrifiedkiller

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
hello all

i recently bought a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131030
unfortunatly i forgot to see how there was only one internal sata port that was useable for the jmicron raid WTF why only one :p. And the other non ide port that can be used for a raid is the external sata. After reading this forums seeing how internal sata2 seems to outperform esata so instead of getting a external sata2 drive enclosure for the other drive to plug into the esata and the other in the internal sata2 raid connecter i was going to buy a sata2 raid controller. But i am in need of advice on what to get i am
preferring to want a pci express x1 card as the board has only 3 pci slots
and the third (currently unused in my comp) is kinda close to my video
card and i can see a potential air flow problem to it but theres plenty of room for pci express x1 cards. I am also seeking a hardware one not software as i heard how the software ones can cause issues. And i upgraded from a nforce 4 chipset amd motherboard which worked great with raid 0. Although my single drive almost performs just as good (the nforce 4 board didnt give the real sata 2 performance and lacked NCQ so i'm expecting even better results with raid0 with this computer once i get a good raid controller on this motherboard. Any advice is appreciated

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Tough to say as I have never used the card and the benchmarks appear to be non-existant.

Being on the 1x PCIe slot it will have a maximum burst rate of 250MB/s which is lower than the onboard solution.

If it does outperform the onboard solution I would expect it to be a very small improvement and it would probably be due to the cache on the card, which is a nice feature.

terrifiedkiller

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Tough to say as I have never used the card and the benchmarks appear to be non-existant.

Being on the 1x PCIe slot it will have a maximum burst rate of 250MB/s which is lower than the onboard solution.

If it does outperform the onboard solution I would expect it to be a very small improvement and it would probably be due to the cache on the card, which is a nice feature.

ok i thank you for the help i really appreciate it :)

mhw100

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I too was looking at aPCIe x1 solution but based on the little I can find out, there is little difference, if any, in performance between it and software at least as far as RAID0 is concerned.

Is there a difference in performance what these hardware controllers will do in a PCIe x1 vs PCI environment? Also, I have a nvidia 680i board which I think is already limited due to its architecture relative to HD speed. Would either type of card therefore be handicapped because of this chipset?

Thank you.