Standard TV (with Component In) and SA 3250HD

I have a standard definition TV, JVC AV-32D501, that has component in
hookups. I first had a Scientific Atlanta 3250 standard definition set top
box (stb) hooked up to the coaxial in of the TV. I was told to use
Scientific Atlanta 3250HD, their high def model, to utilize the component
capability of the TV. I have hooked up the 3250HD, having to tell the stb to
output in 480i. Since the JVC TV is not a HDTV I am wondering if I should
not be using the basic 3250 stb?

Is this the appropriate hookup or should I be using the 3250 and coaxial TV
out/in?

Please help...

Thanks for your time,

Ben
5 answers Last reply
More about standard with component 3250hd

    Ben wrote:

    > I have a standard definition TV, JVC AV-32D501, that has component in
    > hookups. I first had a Scientific Atlanta 3250 standard definition set top
    > box (stb) hooked up to the coaxial in of the TV. I was told to use
    > Scientific Atlanta 3250HD, their high def model, to utilize the component
    > capability of the TV. I have hooked up the 3250HD, having to tell the stb to
    > output in 480i. Since the JVC TV is not a HDTV I am wondering if I should
    > not be using the basic 3250 stb?
    >
    > Is this the appropriate hookup or should I be using the 3250 and coaxial TV
    > out/in?
    >
    > Please help...
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    >
    > Ben

    Ben:

    I use a SA3250HD set top box from Time Warner Cable.....
    to feed my Sony 34HS510 HDTV..... System works swell!!

    I'd say you have 3 ways of connecting HD down converted or
    Analog TV to your non HD TV set...

    1) Try the component out with SA 3250 HD box set to 480i....
    This is 3 RCA plugs on 3 cables...

    2) Try the S-Video out if your TV set has that 480i S-Video input..
    THis may give you the best picture for analog???
    This is a 4 pin 1 cable connector...

    3) Lastly try the composite out... This should be
    used only as a last resort... Picture usually not good.
    This is a single co-ax cable....

    Which of the 3 cable connections gives you the BEST Picture.??

    "Ben" <ben@financialsoftware.com> wrote in message
    > I have a standard definition TV, JVC AV-32D501, that has component in
    > hookups. I first had a Scientific Atlanta 3250 standard definition set top
    > box (stb) hooked up to the coaxial in of the TV. I was told to use
    > Scientific Atlanta 3250HD, their high def model, to utilize the component
    > capability of the TV. I have hooked up the 3250HD, having to tell the stb
    > output in 480i. Since the JVC TV is not a HDTV I am wondering if I should
    > not be using the basic 3250 stb?
    >
    > Is this the appropriate hookup or should I be using the 3250 and coaxial
    TV
    > out/in?
    >
    > Please help...
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    >
    > Ben

    From what I understand about the SA3250HD I learned from AVSforum. There is
    a set up and configuration thread overthere in the HDTV Hardware Forum. I
    am sure you will find some sound advice in that thread ...

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346428

    > Ben:
    >
    > I use a SA3250HD set top box from Time Warner Cable.....
    > to feed my Sony 34HS510 HDTV..... System works swell!!
    >
    > I'd say you have 3 ways of connecting HD down converted or
    > Analog TV to your non HD TV set...
    >
    > 1) Try the component out with SA 3250 HD box set to 480i....
    > This is 3 RCA plugs on 3 cables...
    >
    > 2) Try the S-Video out if your TV set has that 480i S-Video input..
    > THis may give you the best picture for analog???
    > This is a 4 pin 1 cable connector...
    >
    > 3) Lastly try the composite out... This should be
    > used only as a last resort... Picture usually not good.
    > This is a single co-ax cable....
    >
    > Which of the 3 cable connections gives you the BEST Picture.??
    Dennis,

    Thanks for responding. I have hooked up the 3 RCA plugs from the 3250HD box
    to the three component RCA plus on the non HDTV. I then set the 3250HD to
    output only 480i. This is giving me the best picture and sound over the
    option of using the coaxial out of the 3250 into the non HDTV. I did not try
    a S-Video cable since I do not have one and believe component should be
    better?

    So it looks like even though the TV is not HDTV, I can still use the 3250HD
    box having it output via the components at 480i. I know it will not be HDTV
    clarity on the HDTV channels, but even those channels are now displayable
    where as before with the 3250 they were not sent to the TV.

    Do you know if it also true that the output from the coaxial is not stereo.
    Meaning if the coaxial is sent to the TV, even though the TV is stereo, it
    will only have mono sound? This seems to be another reason to use the 3250HD
    box (over the 3250) since it allows for other outputs than just the coaxial?

    Ben wrote:

    > > Ben:
    > >
    > > I use a SA3250HD set top box from Time Warner Cable.....
    > > to feed my Sony 34HS510 HDTV..... System works swell!!
    > >
    > > I'd say you have 3 ways of connecting HD down converted or
    > > Analog TV to your non HD TV set...
    > >
    > > 1) Try the component out with SA 3250 HD box set to 480i....
    > > This is 3 RCA plugs on 3 cables...
    > >
    > > 2) Try the S-Video out if your TV set has that 480i S-Video input..
    > > THis may give you the best picture for analog???
    > > This is a 4 pin 1 cable connector...
    > >
    > > 3) Lastly try the composite out... This should be
    > > used only as a last resort... Picture usually not good.
    > > This is a single co-ax cable....
    > >
    > > Which of the 3 cable connections gives you the BEST Picture.??
    > Dennis,
    >
    > Thanks for responding. I have hooked up the 3 RCA plugs from the 3250HD box
    > to the three component RCA plus on the non HDTV. I then set the 3250HD to
    > output only 480i. This is giving me the best picture and sound over the
    > option of using the coaxial out of the 3250 into the non HDTV. I did not try
    > a S-Video cable since I do not have one and believe component should be
    > better?
    >
    > So it looks like even though the TV is not HDTV, I can still use the 3250HD
    > box having it output via the components at 480i. I know it will not be HDTV
    > clarity on the HDTV channels, but even those channels are now displayable
    > where as before with the 3250 they were not sent to the TV.
    >
    > Do you know if it also true that the output from the coaxial is not stereo.
    > Meaning if the coaxial is sent to the TV, even though the TV is stereo, it
    > will only have mono sound? This seems to be another reason to use the 3250HD
    > box (over the 3250) since it allows for other outputs than just the coaxial?

    Ben:

    There are two types of SA3250HD Coax signals... Video (poor quality)

    and audio coax (superb).... Do not mix these two up on
    SA3250HD...!

    The SA3250HD for Video has DVI, Component, S-Video, & composite...

    The SA3250 HD for Audio has coax (DD5.1 capable signal) and Red/White
    Stereo...
    THis box has no Optical audio TOS (DD5.1) output....

    I feed my SA3250HD audio coax into a ONKYO A/V SR-501 receiver
    ($260)
    then out put to DD 6.1 speaker surround system....

    I also run the Red/White Stereo audio from SA3250HD to SONY HDTV to
    add 'more' channels of sound if necessary....

    > "Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Ben wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I have a standard definition TV, JVC AV-32D501, that has component in
    > >> hookups. I first had a Scientific Atlanta 3250 standard definition set
    > >> top
    > >> box (stb) hooked up to the coaxial in of the TV. I was told to use
    > >> Scientific Atlanta 3250HD, their high def model, to utilize the component
    > >> capability of the TV. I have hooked up the 3250HD, having to tell the stb
    > >> output in 480i. Since the JVC TV is not a HDTV I am wondering if I should
    > >> not be using the basic 3250 stb?
    > >>
    > >> Is this the appropriate hookup or should I be using the 3250 and coaxial
    > >> TV
    > >> out/in?
    > >>
    > >> Please help...
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your time,
    > >>
    > >> Ben
    > >

    > > Ben:
    > >
    > > I use a SA3250HD set top box from Time Warner Cable.....
    > > to feed my Sony 34HS510 HDTV..... System works swell!!
    > >
    > > I'd say you have 3 ways of connecting HD down converted or
    > > Analog TV to your non HD TV set...
    > >
    > > 1) Try the component out with SA 3250 HD box set to 480i....
    > > This is 3 RCA plugs on 3 cables...
    > >
    > > 2) Try the S-Video out if your TV set has that 480i S-Video input..
    > > THis may give you the best picture for analog???
    > > This is a 4 pin 1 cable connector...
    > >
    > > 3) Lastly try the composite out... This should be
    > > used only as a last resort... Picture usually not good.
    > > This is a single co-ax cable....
    > >
    > > Which of the 3 cable connections gives you the BEST Picture.??

    > Ben:
    >
    > There are two types of SA3250HD Coax signals... Video (poor quality)
    >
    > and audio coax (superb).... Do not mix these two up on
    > SA3250HD...!
    >
    > The SA3250HD for Video has DVI, Component, S-Video, & composite...
    >
    > The SA3250 HD for Audio has coax (DD5.1 capable signal) and Red/White
    > Stereo...
    > THis box has no Optical audio TOS (DD5.1) output....
    >
    > I feed my SA3250HD audio coax into a ONKYO A/V SR-501 receiver
    > ($260)
    > then out put to DD 6.1 speaker surround system....
    >
    > I also run the Red/White Stereo audio from SA3250HD to SONY HDTV to
    > add 'more' channels of sound if necessary....

    Dennis,

    I meant that with the 3250 (non HD version), it was setup to only output
    through the TV Out Coaxial. That was going into the antenna in of my non
    HDTV. It appeared from reading SA's site that it was only mono sound. Now
    that I have the 3250HD box, I am able to use the component video and the L&R
    audio out into the corresponding connections of my TV.

    So, basically, the 3250HD box can be used on a non HDTV, which allows the
    use of the other output options of the 3250HD (component out, etc.).

HDTV TV Components Home Theatre