Sign in with
Your question

Question about Tripple Display Setup and Video cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2007 7:39:19 PM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can give me a answer to this... I am able to get a 3rd monitor for my computer from a friend for 25-50$ for 1440x900 5ms acer lcd screen. Is there ANY way to run triple display setup without buying a Nvidia Quadsomthing card? Any video card suggestions would be great in the sub 100$ level.

Thanks
March 26, 2007 7:41:20 PM

Also im wanting to run a extended desktop i think its called.. Where it stretches from monitor 1 to 3
March 26, 2007 7:45:56 PM

Matrox makes a triple-head thingy that stretches a single desktop across three monitors. You only need one video card to drive it, I believe.

Think it's a couple hundred bucks though.
Related resources
March 26, 2007 8:04:24 PM

Quote:
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can give me a answer to this... I am able to get a 3rd monitor for my computer from a friend for 25-50$ for 1440x900 5ms acer lcd screen. Is there ANY way to run triple display setup without buying a Nvidia Quadsomthing card? Any video card suggestions would be great in the sub 100$ level.

Thanks

of course, you dont need anything special, just another video card.

if you have win2k or xp (or probably vista but i haven't personally done it on that one yet) you'll be fine.

right now my main machine has an nvidia agp vid card, and an ati pci vid card. i have three 21" crt monitors running 1600x1200 resolution for a total desktop res of 4800x1200, one monitor comes off the nvidia, two come off the ati. (i can actually run FOUR monitors if i wanted to, since both of these cards have dual outputs, but FOUR 21" crt's wont fit on the desk, and i had to reinforce the desk as it is with the weight of the big screens)

just plug them in, install the cards, (the pci card was only ~55.00) and windows will detect the other displays, you may have to enable them in the graphics properties menu. you DO NOT need multi head video cards, just another card.

Valis
March 26, 2007 8:07:06 PM

Quote:
Matrox makes a triple-head thingy that stretches a single desktop across three monitors. You only need one video card to drive it, I believe.

Think it's a couple hundred bucks though.

all of that functionality is built into windows, win2k or greater. you dont need to spend any more money.

Valis
March 26, 2007 8:13:25 PM

Sorry, mind was caught in the gaming perspective.

I belive you need a triplehead2go if you want to game across 3 monitors, right?... set me straight here, I've never tried this but that's how I understand it works. 3d acceleration doesn't work across different videocards...?
March 26, 2007 8:30:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry, mind was caught in the gaming perspective.

I belive you need a triplehead2go if you want to game, right?... set me straight here, I've never tried this but that's how I understand it works. 3d acceleration doesn't work across difference videocards...?

you're right there, for the most part games dont work across spanned monitors, if you just want more desktop space then you're good with what windows gives you. if you want to play doom or fear spanned across monitors then i haven't a clue, and whatever you have to buy will most likely be quite expensive.
valis
March 26, 2007 9:36:55 PM

Quote:
for the most part games dont work across spanned monitors, if you just want more desktop space then you're good with what windows gives you. if you want to play doom or fear spanned across monitors then i haven't a clue, and whatever you have to buy will most likely be quite expensive.
valis

The Matrox TripleHead2Go is available from Matrox's on-line catalogue for $300 USD; significantly more than the 2nd pci video card idea.

Can't wait for digital edition to come out though ...
a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2007 9:45:48 PM

Quote:
Can't wait for digital edition to come out though ...

I have the analog edition. The digital looks like it will be nice with the bezel management, and of course DVI connections. But too bad still no support for mullti 20-22" widescreens in their native res.

And to back up what Cleeve said, there is a big difference in requirements between just outputting to 3 monitors and surround gaming on 3 monitors.
March 26, 2007 10:36:34 PM

Quote:
I am able to get a 3rd monitor for my computer from a friend for 25-50$ for 1440x900 5ms acer lcd screen.

Hmm, just re-read original post, looks like 19" widescreen. Can't seem to make that match up with any of the TripleHead2Go's supported resolutions. Adding a second PCI video card is looking better and better all the time ...
March 26, 2007 11:11:32 PM

Yeah right now im running 19" hp trinitron (1600*1200) and a Dell lcd 19" (1280*960) Then i want to buy this acer 19" wide screen lcd (1440*900).

So im running 3 different res'es, also im not planing on gaming on all three just my main monitor 1. So i could get another cheap 7200 nvidia and run the other two off my 7600gs right?
March 26, 2007 11:13:15 PM

Btw thanks for all the help, you guys rock! I mainly want another one cause its sooooooooo nice having dreamweaver.. firefox and messenger and winamp etc etc on different screens.
March 26, 2007 11:16:54 PM

Ohh sorry for another question... If i get another nvidia card like mx4000 or fx5200 card will the ONE nvidia driver handle all three screens and the two video cards?
March 27, 2007 6:06:46 AM

Well i ended up going out and buying a ati 9250se visiontek card from walmart (i know shitty card) and im running a triple screen setup and its way kool i like it, id recommend it if any of you are into multi tasking
April 4, 2007 2:18:00 PM

Quote:
Well i ended up going out and buying a ati 9250se visiontek card from walmart (i know shitty card) and im running a triple screen setup and its way kool i like it, id recommend it if any of you are into multi tasking

yup!
it's amazing how quickly you get used to it and how much more stuff you can do if you aren't constantly flipping between screens. having everything right in front of you without having to maximize and minimize or jostle stuff around is wonderful

Valis
April 4, 2007 2:59:59 PM

Yeah its way nice cause im designing on my website in my signature and most is done in dreamweaver and having pictures and dw open and doing my ebay stuff works perferct.. im thinking about forth monitor but that might be over kill... Honestly though i couldn't live without at least 2 monitors anymore.
April 4, 2007 3:28:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah its way nice cause im designing on my website in my signature and most is done in dreamweaver and having pictures and dw open and doing my ebay stuff works perferct.. im thinking about forth monitor but that might be over kill... Honestly though i couldn't live without at least 2 monitors anymore.

i would like to move up to four, but i've already had to reinforce my desk... i'm using 3 21" crt's and if i put a fourth one up on the desk it will most likely collapse...
!