jcamacho

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
After installing a couple of programs I was receiving this "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled" it asks to press ok to terminate and cancel to debug.Once I press cancel to debug it comes up with "No debugger found.Registed JIT debugger is not available.An attempt to launch a JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2(2).Please check computer settings."
How do I fix this problem ?
I am running a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with WinXP Home.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Ahh Dell! I am not a big fan.

One of the installs is corrupt. Assuming you can still get your desktop, uninstall those two-three apps, and do the following:

First, be extremely certain you're "clean". Run a GOOD av ($$-Zone Alarm; free-Avast). Run two GOOD spyware programs ($$-SpySweeper, PestPatrol; free-Lavasoft's AdAware, Spybot)

Second, right-click your "C" drive. Go to Properties - Tools tab - Error Checking. Check off both boxes; close out of everything, and reboot. Chkdsk will work on the hd during the boot; takes 40-60 minutes. When it's done, you will get the desktop back. Go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - Event Viewer - Application. Look for Winlogon near the top and open it. See if it reports any bad spots. If you'd like to print it out, click the clipboard, close out, fire up a word processor, paste, and print. I recommend once-a-month on this procedure anyway.

Third, booting up in Safe Mode - do ONE INSTALL AT A TIME (and reboot after each one). As you do each one, use the hell out of it for a couple of hours before proceeding with the next, again in Safe Mode.

You will either be okay with all of it, or you will find the bad actor.