Is it possible to create two partitions on a Raid 1 array?

aster

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Does anybody out there know if I can create two partitions on a Raid 1 (mirroring) array? I currently own Power Quest Partition Magic 7.0. Looking at Symantec website it says Partition Magic 8.0 only supports Raid 0 and 5.

The pair of drives I want to partition are spare (i.e. non-boot) SATA drives.

Thanks,
Aster

ITdad

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I was trying to do the same thing and have not found a way to do that yet. I'm not sure what you want the different partitions for, but, in my case, I just set permissions differently for different folders on the array as an alternative to multiple partitions. Not ideal, but an acceptable work around for my purposes.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm, I never got around to partitioning anything other than the standard primary on my RAID1 array. But I don't see why it'd matter if you had RAID or not. I would have thought that the drive controller would serve up the array as a single logical drive to whatever partitioning software you use. Is this not so?

sturm

Splendid
If the drives are blank, make your partitions and then setup the array. When the array builds it should make an exact copy with the partitions the same way. Now if you already have data on it then thats a different story that I am not sure of.

Ropera

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
once you set the array it will show only one drive in Disk Manager. You can partition it as usual.

The same if you clean install on a RAID: set your RAID in the BIOS, boot, and the computer will read only one disk, and you can partition the same as if you had one HDD